BoatBanter.com

-   -   two questions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/101188-two-questions.html)

Helena December 30th 08 09:18 PM

two questions

I bought an antique cigarrete-case with the following inscription: regatta
won by Dorus.
1. Who can forward me more information about that regatta?
2. Who is familiar with the Hoxwiergroup?

Thx,
Helena

Wayne.B December 31st 08 02:11 AM

two questions

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:18:32 +0100, "Helena" wrote:

I bought an antique cigarrete-case with the following inscription: regatta
won by Dorus.
1. Who can forward me more information about that regatta?
2. Who is familiar with the Hoxwiergroup?

Hoxweir Group is a Yachting Services business in the Netherlands:

http://hoxwiergroup.nl/

Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers (January 28, 1847 – April 19, 1928) was a
famous Dutch lifeboat captain and folk hero, most famous for his sea
rescues of 487 shipwrecked victims over a total of 38 rescue
operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorus_Rijkers

pirate December 31st 08 12:18 PM

two questions

Way to go Wayne...impressive!!

slide[_2_] December 31st 08 06:58 PM

two questions

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:18:32 +0100, "Helena" wrote:

I bought an antique cigarrete-case with the following inscription: regatta
won by Dorus.
1. Who can forward me more information about that regatta?
2. Who is familiar with the Hoxwiergroup?

Hoxweir Group is a Yachting Services business in the Netherlands:

http://hoxwiergroup.nl/

Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers (January 28, 1847 – April 19, 1928) was a
famous Dutch lifeboat captain and folk hero, most famous for his sea
rescues of 487 shipwrecked victims over a total of 38 rescue
operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorus_Rijkers

Probably a different Dorus. IIRC, some Dorus was in the old Greek
panoply of gods. I suspect the OP is looking for a boat named after this
god or goddette - not the famous captain.

KLC Lewis December 31st 08 07:27 PM

two questions

"slide" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:18:32 +0100, "Helena" wrote:

I bought an antique cigarrete-case with the following inscription:
regatta won by Dorus.
1. Who can forward me more information about that regatta?
2. Who is familiar with the Hoxwiergroup?

Hoxweir Group is a Yachting Services business in the Netherlands:

http://hoxwiergroup.nl/

Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers (January 28, 1847 – April 19, 1928) was a
famous Dutch lifeboat captain and folk hero, most famous for his sea
rescues of 487 shipwrecked victims over a total of 38 rescue
operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorus_Rijkers

Probably a different Dorus. IIRC, some Dorus was in the old Greek panoply
of gods. I suspect the OP is looking for a boat named after this god or
goddette - not the famous captain.

I think I would tend to agree that the "Dorus" in question would more likely
be the name of the vessel. For a person, one would expect first and last
names, at least.

Wayne.B December 31st 08 08:12 PM

two questions

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:27:48 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers (January 28, 1847 – April 19, 1928) was a
famous Dutch lifeboat captain and folk hero, most famous for his sea
rescues of 487 shipwrecked victims over a total of 38 rescue
operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorus_Rijkers

Probably a different Dorus. IIRC, some Dorus was in the old Greek panoply
of gods. I suspect the OP is looking for a boat named after this god or
goddette - not the famous captain.

I think I would tend to agree that the "Dorus" in question would more likely
be the name of the vessel. For a person, one would expect first and last
names, at least.

That's all a possibility of course. On the other hand the object in
question is a cigarette lighter, not a typical sailing trophy, and
Theodorus "Dorus" Rijkers appears to be a fairly famous person in the
world of Dutch yachting, and well known by just his nickname.