posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default more ROW questions....

Last week while sailing up a river channel, about 200yds
wide, doing 3 kts in light. wind, I spotted , off my
starboard stern quarter, 2 powerboats, 'sitting' next to
each other. I figured they were fishing, or just talking to
each other. Then they seemed to be trolling, very slowly up
river, as I was cutting across the channel at an angle, I
figured I had plenty of time to cross in front of them,
rather than behind in case they WERE trolling lines.
Then the lead PB starts honking his horn ( like a NYer, when
the light turns green) and yelling. I heard something about
my Mother, and towing and privilege. Since we were both
going slow, and not real close, I continued on my coarse. he
never got closer than 100 ft. Only after they passed did I
see the small towing line between them.

Would a 'tow' like this have 'privilege? Would he be
considered a RAM? Wouldn't he need to be displaying a day
shape? Given that I had ample time to cross, was I still
wrong to do so?

Even if it had been a properly marked 'real' towboat, and
someone crossed in front, causing the tow to turn, but no
collision happened, what if anything could/should be done to
the crossing boat?
Is there penalties for near misses?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Scotty wrote:
[...]

Yes

Wouldn't he need to be displaying a day
shape?

Tech..yes

Given that I had ample time to cross, was I still
wrong to do so?

no, not if you did not futher restrict his ability

Even if it had been a properly marked 'real' towboat, and
someone crossed in front, causing the tow to turn, but no
collision happened, what if anything could/should be done to
the crossing boat?

Flip him off.

Is there penalties for near misses?

can be if someone pushes the issue and gets the USCG involved.

Joe

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scotty wrote:
[...]

Yes, but....

Wouldn't he need to be displaying a day
shape?

Tech..yes

Not just technically... how is one supposed to know? You have to tell people
about your inability to maneauver.

Given that I had ample time to cross, was I still
wrong to do so?

no, not if you did not futher restrict his ability

Exactly.

Even if it had been a properly marked 'real' towboat, and
someone crossed in front, causing the tow to turn, but no
collision happened, what if anything could/should be done to
the crossing boat?

Flip him off.

Is there penalties for near misses?

can be if someone pushes the issue and gets the USCG involved.

Yup, but doubtful there would be penalties... they would tell the crosser
not to do that again.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default more ROW questions....near misses Schooner Aurora

Joe wrote:
Is there penalties for near misses?

can be if someone pushes the issue and gets the USCG involved.

Joe

On starboard tack hove-to, with the helm lashed, I was nearly run over
by the schooner Aurora in Newport Harbor. I yelled at the skipper and
later when I was on port tack, altered course several times to try and
run me down again--failing to maintain his stand-on course. I wrote a
formal letter to the USCG and gave the names of witnesses. The USCG
gave them a telephone call and a mild slap on the wrist. The USCG
officer I spoke to told me they could not take action unless there
was in fact a collision.

I still have a copy of the original letter. I should post it here.

If you ever go to Newport. Don't patronize the Aurora.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

What is ones status while hove-to? I guess you should
always try to hove-to on starboard tack?

What would your status be , while single handing, drifting,
up at the bow pulling down your jib?

Scotty

"Bart" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

Joe wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
What is ones status while hove-to? I guess you should
always try to hove-to on starboard tack?

No special rights. This is why it is preferable to heave-to
onto starboard tack.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

That's what the USSailing instructors teach re hove-to. Start on port, end
up on starboard.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
What is ones status while hove-to? I guess you should
always try to hove-to on starboard tack?

What would your status be , while single handing, drifting,
up at the bow pulling down your jib?

Scotty

"Bart" wrote in message
oups.com..
.

Joe wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:

That's what the USSailing instructors teach re hove-to. Start on port, end
up on starboard.

Really? They teach you to tack as part of heaving to? Why is this
necessary?

//Walt
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Bart wrote:
Joe wrote:
Is there penalties for near misses?

can be if someone pushes the issue and gets the USCG involved.

Joe

On starboard tack hove-to, with the helm lashed, I was nearly run over
by the schooner Aurora in Newport Harbor. I yelled at the skipper and
later when I was on port tack, altered course several times to try and
run me down again--failing to maintain his stand-on course.

http://www.slingking.com/launcher.html

Joe

I wrote a
formal letter to the USCG and gave the names of witnesses. The USCG
gave them a telephone call and a mild slap on the wrist. The USCG
officer I spoke to told me they could not take action unless there
was in fact a collision.

I still have a copy of the original letter. I should post it here.

If you ever go to Newport. Don't patronize the Aurora.

Boater wannabe questions (Pacific Northwest area) Melandre General 8 June 6th 22 04:07 PM
Where's the poop questions? Sandy K. General 49 May 24th 05 09:46 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Lots of questions :) GC General 7 September 16th 04 05:45 AM
Newbie questions Tony Kenny UK Power Boats 7 January 12th 04 08:44 PM