Default speedseal anyone?

I'm going to be hauling soon, and even though I have realitively easy access
to the raw water pump/impeller, I'm thinking of replacing the cover with a
Speedseal. It seems quite simple to do it, and then I'd be able to deal with
a problem without fumbling for a tool. The impeller is due to get changed
anyway, so while I'm there... for reference,
http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html.

Has someone used this product? What do you think?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Dec 22, 2:02*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm going to be hauling soon, and even though I have realitively easy access
to the raw water pump/impeller, I'm thinking of replacing the cover with a
Speedseal. It seems quite simple to do it, and then I'd be able to deal with
a problem without fumbling for a tool. The impeller is due to get changed
anyway, so while I'm there... for reference,http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html.

Has someone used this product? What do you think?

--
"j" ganz

looks good to me its not like most of the seals nowdays need to be
cranked very tight.
I might put wing nuts on the heads so i could twist a few more inch
pounds. or just for a secure grip in the cold. the nurling on those
cap nuts seems a might shallow to me.

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:02:42 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

I'm going to be hauling soon, and even though I have realitively easy
access
to the raw water pump/impeller, I'm thinking of replacing the cover with a
Speedseal. It seems quite simple to do it, and then I'd be able to deal
with
a problem without fumbling for a tool. The impeller is due to get changed
anyway, so while I'm there... for reference,
http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html.

Has someone used this product? What do you think?

Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. How many times have
you
had to change an impeller under circumstances where you couldn't do it
hove
to or anchored?

Just trying to be prepared. I had a situation where water was not flowing
for a longer-than-I-realized time. Fortunately, I didn't have to switch
impellers.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Dec 22, 4:52*pm, Gogarty wrote:
In article
,
says...On Dec 22, 2:02*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm going to be hauling soon, and even though I have realitively easy

access
to the raw water pump/impeller, I'm thinking of replacing the cover with a
Speedseal. It seems quite simple to do it, and then I'd be able to deal

with
a problem without fumbling for a tool. The impeller is due to get changed
anyway, so while I'm there... for

reference,http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html.

Has someone used this product? What do you think?

--
"j" ganz

looks good to me its not like most of the seals nowdays need to be
cranked very tight.

Knurling. Sorry. Can't help it.

I might put wing nuts on the heads so i could twist a few more inch
pounds. or just for a secure grip in the cold. the nurling on those
cap nuts seems a might shallow to me.- Hide quoted text -

I don't mind.
my spelling has always been bad.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:29:33 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
said:

[...]

If you are talking about the cover made in England then I've got one
somewhere. They have a very thin O ring around the edge of the cover
plate and the knurled screws are plenty large enough to tighten the
cover down and compress the O ring.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Dave wrote in
:

said:

I'm going to be hauling soon, and even though I have realitively easy
access to the raw water pump/impeller, I'm thinking of replacing the
cover with a Speedseal. It seems quite simple to do it, and then I'd
be able to deal with a problem without fumbling for a tool. The
impeller is due to get changed anyway, so while I'm there... for
reference, http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html.

Has someone used this product? What do you think?

Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. How many times
have you had to change an impeller under circumstances where you
couldn't do it hove to or anchored?

Clearly you haven't tried to help get a boat off of the beach.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:02:35 -0600, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Dave wrote in
:

said:

I'm going to be hauling soon, and even though I have realitively easy
access to the raw water pump/impeller, I'm thinking of replacing the
cover with a Speedseal. It seems quite simple to do it, and then I'd
be able to deal with a problem without fumbling for a tool. The
impeller is due to get changed anyway, so while I'm there... for
reference, http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html.

Has someone used this product? What do you think?

Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. How many times
have you had to change an impeller under circumstances where you
couldn't do it hove to or anchored?

Clearly you haven't tried to help get a boat off of the beach.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Looks like a solution looking for newbie cruisers to pay for
something I've never seen/heard of being an issue. Getting newbies to
change their fuel filters (all of them) would really save boats.
Especially if they carried the filters with them.

-----------------
-----------------

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:29:33 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

. ..
said:

[...]

Yep... what do you think of it? Not that I'm impressed, but Practical Sailor
liked it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
Dave wrote in
:

said:

I'm going to be hauling soon, and even though I have realitively easy
access to the raw water pump/impeller, I'm thinking of replacing the
cover with a Speedseal. It seems quite simple to do it, and then I'd
be able to deal with a problem without fumbling for a tool. The
impeller is due to get changed anyway, so while I'm there... for
reference, http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html.

Has someone used this product? What do you think?

Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. How many times
have you had to change an impeller under circumstances where you
couldn't do it hove to or anchored?

Clearly you haven't tried to help get a boat off of the beach.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

My main concern is that if I have to do it quickly, I would be hard pressed
to remove the cover easily...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:02:35 -0600, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Dave wrote in
m:

said:

[...]

So, if you haven't heard of it, then it's for newbies? I don't think so...
seems like a reasonable device if you want to remove the cover without a
hassle, but I've not had the pleasure of doing it, no less doing it in a
hurry. Perhaps it doesn't work, or as someone said, the screws can't be hand
tighten enough.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com