Default speedseal anyone?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:14:17 +0100, "Edgar"
wrote:

"C. S." wrote in message
BUT. It only solves a minor part of the problem. My experience is that

the
two big problems are getting the old impeller out and the new one in,
preferably with the wings in the right direction. The Speedseal page
mentions an impeller removal tool but does not show a picture. Does
anybody know what it looks like, how it works and is it useful also in
really tight spots?

Caitzu

Screwdriver has always worked for me. Used carefully you do not damage the
impeller

Damaging the impeller with a screwdriver is not the issue, damaging
the machined mating surface under the cover plate is the real problem
when you try to pry it out.

I've had much better luck with two pairs of needle nose pliers,
grabbing vanes on opposite sides and giving it a straight pull out. A
little shot of PB Blaster on the shaft hub can help if it is really
stuck.

Thats OK but I was thinking of a tight spot where there is not "unlimited"
space in front of the impeller housing.
Any solutions for that case?

There is a trick to getting the new impeller back in. Wrap a nylon
wire tie around the new impeller, compressing the rubber vanes around
the hub as you tighten it up. That should allow you to get it
started, and then you snip the wire tie with cutters and push the
impeller in all the way. It does not matter if the vanes are pointing
the wrong way - they will flip over on the first turn. A light shot
of silicone spray will ease the process.

That suons like a usful trick, will try it next spring.

Caitzu

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:24:02 +0200, "C. S."
wrote:

I've had much better luck with two pairs of needle nose pliers,
grabbing vanes on opposite sides and giving it a straight pull out. A
little shot of PB Blaster on the shaft hub can help if it is really
stuck.

Thats OK but I was thinking of a tight spot where there is not "unlimited"
space in front of the impeller housing.
Any solutions for that case?

====

Sometimes it is easier in that case to dismount the entire pump or
turn it to a different position.

Capt. JG wrote:
I'm going to be hauling soon, and even though I have realitively easy access
to the raw water pump/impeller, I'm thinking of replacing the cover with a
Speedseal. It seems quite simple to do it, and then I'd be able to deal with
a problem without fumbling for a tool. The impeller is due to get changed
anyway, so while I'm there... for reference,
http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html.

Has someone used this product? What do you think?

I've put them on my 2GM20FC's and have been pleased, although I haven't
been able to do (or needed) an "in situ" repair. On the 2GM20F series
the water pump is mounted "backwards," so the cover plate faces the
engine making it totally impossible to remove the screws in place. I
thought the SpeedSeal would make it possible, but even if I could get
the plate off, removing the rotor would still be an issue. Once you've
done it a few times, its really pretty to easy to just pull the whole
thing out. Even so, the SpeedSeal with its o-ring is easier to deal
with than fumbling with 6 tiny screws (which always becomes 5) and a
paper gasket.

The pumps get removed and opened each Fall, and a new rotor goes in (if
there is any wear) in the Spring. As long as I don't remember the cost,
I'm happy I got the SpeedSeal. As it turns out, I've only had one
underway failure, and that was with a new rotor (50 hours?) where the
hub separated from the vanes. With twin engines, problems like this are
not much of an issue in open water.

wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

There is a trick to getting the new impeller back in. Wrap a nylon
wire tie around the new impeller, compressing the rubber vanes around
the hub as you tighten it up. That should allow you to get it
started, and then you snip the wire tie with cutters and push the
impeller in all the way. It does not matter if the vanes are pointing
the wrong way - they will flip over on the first turn. A light shot
of silicone spray will ease the process.

That suons like a usful trick, will try it next spring.

Caitzu

A useful trick for getting the cover and gasket on and off is to get
two long screws of the same size as the standard cover screws, and cut
their heads off. When removing the cover, first remove two screws,
then insert the long screws in their holes. You can then remove the
rest of the screws without risk of the cover falling into the bilge.
When re-installing the cover, again put the two long screws in the
pump, hang the gasket and cover on them, then you can insert the other
screws without having to use three hands.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca