Default Retrieving an overboard part

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 14:39:34 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. Water depth is 10-12'. I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). ANY ideas to get it sooner? I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

Chuck a webcam in after it
http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/...ersible-webcam
then go fishing with a lassoo.

Oh my! Another dumb suggestion. One would think sailors believe they will
melt in water.

Wilbur Hubbard

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. Water depth is 10-12'. I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). ANY ideas to get it sooner? I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

DB,
Once, a long time ago (20 years) a couple of friends were trying to cast
mature trout in Port Canaveral. They found that in water deep enough to
allow ships next to the pier, the mullet would simply dive lower and the
net would close before it got down to them. So my friends used duct tape,
2 rings around the perimeter of the net, to keep it open long enough to
get the mullet. They got so many mullet in the first cast that they
couldn't lift the net. One of them had to get in the water to let the
mullet out.
They weren't commercial, just getting a couple for the smoker and adjusted
the plan to just go after loners.
I think you might be able to retrieve the drum with your cast net. Or
maybe a friend has a long handled shrimp net?

The suggestions just continue to become more and more pathetic.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:59:06 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Oh my! Another dumb suggestion. One would think sailors believe they will
melt in water.

Perhaps one could obtain the services of a trained dolphin..
Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 7, 2:39*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. *Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. *Water depth is 10-12'. *I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. *It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. *A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). *ANY ideas to get it sooner? *I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. *I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

A couple thoughs from a former oilfild diver.........

First, some idiot said wear ear plugs. Dont! I wont boar you with a
lecture about diving physics and preasure/volume

Next, 12 feet is NOT deep. at one time I was making working free dives
to 90+ feet. But that was 30 years ago. It can be done if you find the
right person.

Last, Dont hesitate if you really need somthing to recoverd. Even a
slight current will roll it long gone. Get a real diver not some kid
with a paper sign taped to the gate at your marina that says "Diver"
Sport scuba divers are a joke regardless of howmany gizmoes he has
hanging off his breathing apperatus..
But that will cost ya more than the part is worth. But then you ll get
it back. Your best bet is drag it up with a pool net. I would say
spend 1-2 hours doing that then go buy a replacment part.

OR..........

Stop smoking for a month
Go to your swimming pool and beging exercizing your eustation tubes
and learn to clear your ears.
If you can fly, or drive over a moutain pass say 1000' gain elevation
then you can clear your ears in water.
Ya cant call water cold untill 60 F
Man up and do it. ON the other hand ya cant fix sisy.
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message
snipped here
OR..........

Stop smoking for a month
Go to your swimming pool and beging exercizing your eustation tubes
and learn to clear your ears.
If you can fly, or drive over a moutain pass say 1000' gain elevation
then you can clear your ears in water.
Ya cant call water cold untill 60 F
Man up and do it. ON the other hand ya cant fix sisy.

Forget it, Bob! He won't listen to reason. If he had he would not be in the
fix he finds himself in now. He's an obviously an out-of-shape, ignorant
lubber who has no business aboard a boat. He will whine about one physical
infirmity after another, one concern after another, one limitation after
another until somebody takes pity on his lazy and inept ass and pulls the
fat out of the fire for him. Can't you read between the lines of his post.
He is a lubberly wimp and a fool. He made his bed. Let him lie in it. I wish
you and other would stop enabling such lubberly attitudes and behavior.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 8, 11:34*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Hummm, you are correct. But unlike you I am a confirmed bleanding
heart fuzzy headed commie chi-comm hippy Democrate who belives
everybody deserves one set of instructions on how to succeed.
After that its up to them. Evern a republican deserves one chance.....
hell bush got two!
bob

"Bob" wrote in message
snip

Hummm, you are correct. But unlike you I am a confirmed bleanding
heart fuzzy headed commie chi-comm hippy Democrate who belives
everybody deserves one set of instructions on how to succeed.
After that its up to them. Evern a republican deserves one chance.....
hell bush got two!
bob

Republican = Democrat light.

I am a proud conservative/libertarian who thinks the Constitution is written
in stone - not some living, breathing document meant to be tossed aside when
convenient to do so.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Frogwatch" wrote
ANY ideas to get it sooner?

Okay, you're going to need two heavy concrete blocks, some duct tape, a
piece of rope, and Wilbur Hubbard. Duct tape the blocks securely to Wilbur's
feet and instruct him to tie the rope to the furling drum when he gets down
there. Hand Wilbur the rope, toss him overboard, and then report back here
for kudos on a job well done. Oh, and if your drum hasn't drifted too far
downstream, you can retrieve it with a pool net.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Oh my! Another dumb suggestion. One would think sailors believe they will
melt in water.

Wilbur Hubbard

Back in the day, it was considered bad luck for sailors to know how to swim.
Perhaps the OP is simply a traditionalist -- just not a luddite.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

I am a proud conservative/libertarian who thinks the Constitution is
written in stone - not some living, breathing document meant to be tossed
aside when convenient to do so.

Wilbur Hubbard

If the Constitution is written in stone, on what substrate do we find the
Amendments?

Man Overboard Chuck Gould General 7 September 10th 07 03:16 PM
Medical CDs - [Part 1], [Part 2], [Part 3 = MEDLINE 1986-1998] CDs, [Part 4 = Dragon Naturally Speaking CDs, and IBM Via Voice CDs, including Medical Solutions], [Part 5 = Math Solving, and Statistics Porgrams], [Part 6 = Various - Medical Cliparts, [email protected] ASA 1 February 5th 06 02:20 PM
Medical CDs - [Part 1], [Part 2], [Part 3 = MEDLINE 1986-1998] CDs, [Part 4 = Dragon Naturally Speaking CDs, and IBM Via Voice CDs, including Medical Solutions], [Part 5 = Math Solving, and Statistics Porgrams], [Part 6 = Various - Medical Cliparts, [email protected] Tall Ships 0 February 4th 06 08:43 AM
Techniques for retrieving stuck anchors Diver1055 General 10 October 25th 03 01:46 PM
Overboard Den73740 Cruising 0 October 11th 03 07:12 PM