Default Retrieving an overboard part

OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. Water depth is 10-12'. I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). ANY ideas to get it sooner? I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. Water depth is 10-12'. I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). ANY ideas to get it sooner? I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

Leave it right were it is for that is the best place for it. The Good Lord
has given you a clue. Lose the wind-up sail. Use hank-on sails as God
intended sailboats to do.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. Water depth is 10-12'. I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). ANY ideas to get it sooner? I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

Doofus

Excellent suggestion! Get a doofus to go get it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 14:39:34 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. Water depth is 10-12'. I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). ANY ideas to get it sooner? I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

I did a rather similar exercise. I dropped the bronze roller for the
anchor bracket. Having the anchor and rode laying there on the dock I
immediately lowered the anchor as close to where the roller dropped as
possible. Next day I went hand over hand down the anchor rode and
there was the roller.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

Leave it right were it is for that is the best place for it. The Good Lord
has given you a clue. Lose the wind-up sail. Use hank-on sails as God
intended sailboats to do.

Wilbur Hubbard

Having recently read an ode to Wilbur's knowledge of boating I
decided to test it out. I spent an hour walking the docks and
discovered that not a single one of the more then 200 boats in the
marina, all of whom have sailed across the ocean to get here, have
hanked on head sails.

So.... either more then 200 proven sailors are wrong... or Non Sailing
Wilbur is. Take your pick.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Dave wrote in
:

difficult to catch right.

Reading all this advise gave me a flashback into the 1960s when our ship
was anchored out stern to the quay in Naples, Italy....

There always seemed to be these "bumboat operators" in little rowing
gondolas hanging around about 100 meters from our Navy ship every time I
walked out on the weather deck. What they were waiting for was any
scraps of metal or any other stuff they could salvage, row ashore, and
sell to the Italian scrapyards. They became quite a bunch of pests with
all the begging every time some sailor opened a hatch. One day the Deck
Force had had enough. They had an old leaky flexible steam line, about
the size of a 4" fire hose, armored in stainless steel around some kind
of rubber core. It was about 12' long and must have weighed close to
300 pounds. The guys on the deck force simply dumped it overboard as if
it were some kind of accident with lots of "Oh, ****" and other colorful
sailor language for effect.

As if these little gondolas had metal detecting radar, the scrambled
towards the point the big hose went under, grappling hooks at the ready.
One guy got a hook on it but couldn't even raise it off the mud by
himself in 25' of water. A crowd of sailors had gathered by that time
cheering for them to get it, waiting to see how they were going to
engineer this project.

The guy attached already decided to share the profits with two other
boat ops who soon, with some pretty good skill, had their hooks tangled
into the steel wire that wrapped the outside of it. Now attached at the
ends and near the middle, they coordinated their liftings and started
pulling hard on the lines try to raise it.

The gondolas, responding to the increased load, got lower and lower and
really lower in the water, as they DID manage to raise the weight off
the bottom. At that point, physics took over and got to be a problem.
The line was FLEXIBLE, as in hose! Lifted off the bottom, the ends of
the line lifted easier than the middle so the hose formed itself into a
U quite quickly. As the gondola operators had no anchors out to hold
their ground, the two guys on the end soon were headed on a crash course
with the guy in the middle as the hose came up. There was nothing they
could do to stop it, of course, except to LET GO OF THE LINE and lay the
hose back on the bottom. GREED overcame LOGIC at that point and they
just kept hauling up.

The gondola in the middle was much lower, having more and more of the
load as the U got deeper in the middle. Just before the inevitable
collisions of the guys on the end, the BILGE boards of the center
gondola solved the GREED problem by splitting right under the guys shoes
sending his legs right through the hull of his gondola, forcing him to
LET GO. Now with the whole weight of the hose suspended between them,
the speed at which the end guys increased to the sinking center gondola
causing all 3 boats to smash into each other, with lots of new Italian
words I had never heard before spoken VERY quickly and loudly.

The assembled sailors, of course, were rolling on the deck by this time
and some of them rushed below to open the big sea level hatches in our
machine shop to take the survivor Italians aboard. This was winter in
Napoli and the water was cold, so they threw some Navy blankets over
them and took them to our big sick bay where the doc and the corpmen got
them warmed up and checked out. A police patrol boat was summoned who
took them away, I never found out to what.....

I can still see the shocked look on that center gondola guy's face
around his heavy beard and bulging muscles as the deck split under him,
sending him into the Naples Harbor, which was like an open sewer full of
floating garbage our divers just hated.

I salute all the sailors, soldiers and Marines, especially those who
died and survived Pearl Harbor, on this date 1941.....We remember them,
today.

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

wrote:

Leave it right were it is for that is the best place for it. The Good
Lord has given you a clue. Lose the wind-up sail. Use hank-on sails
as God intended sailboats to do.

Wilbur Hubbard

Having recently read an ode to Wilbur's knowledge of boating I
decided to test it out. I spent an hour walking the docks and
discovered that not a single one of the more then 200 boats in the
marina, all of whom have sailed across the ocean to get here, have
hanked on head sails.

So.... either more then 200 proven sailors are wrong... or Non Sailing
Wilbur is. Take your pick.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I actually have one....

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

wrote:

OK, I dropped the plastic furling drum (massive and heavy plastic
part) from my CDI roller furling in the water beside my boat at the
dock. Water visibility is very poor and it is kinda cold although I
MIGHT be able to bear it. Water depth is 10-12'. I can locate the
drum with my very long boat hook but could not get it with a net tied
to boat hook or by using a metal loop and really cannot even tell how
it is oriented. It is literally only 1' out from my finger pier
straight down. A diver says he can get it next month although he
already tried but he looked in the wrong place (he didnt listen to my
directions well). ANY ideas to get it sooner? I am sure I will end
up going in the water and diving fro it but really dont want too. I
hate diving deep cuz I cannot relieve the pressure in my ears.

Find another diver.

Man Overboard Chuck Gould General 7 September 10th 07 03:16 PM
Medical CDs - [Part 1], [Part 2], [Part 3 = MEDLINE 1986-1998] CDs, [Part 4 = Dragon Naturally Speaking CDs, and IBM Via Voice CDs, including Medical Solutions], [Part 5 = Math Solving, and Statistics Porgrams], [Part 6 = Various - Medical Cliparts, [email protected] ASA 1 February 5th 06 02:20 PM
Medical CDs - [Part 1], [Part 2], [Part 3 = MEDLINE 1986-1998] CDs, [Part 4 = Dragon Naturally Speaking CDs, and IBM Via Voice CDs, including Medical Solutions], [Part 5 = Math Solving, and Statistics Porgrams], [Part 6 = Various - Medical Cliparts, [email protected] Tall Ships 0 February 4th 06 08:43 AM
Techniques for retrieving stuck anchors Diver1055 General 10 October 25th 03 01:46 PM
Overboard Den73740 Cruising 0 October 11th 03 07:12 PM