Diver1055

Default Techniques for retrieving stuck anchors

Hi,

I just just bought another boat which has a windlass. My previous boats did
not have a windlass so I used grapling hook anchors which where very easy to
unjam. Now with the dansforth anchor it is tougher when they get stuck, and
the windlass isn't strong enough to break it free.. So I am wondering what is
the best way to unhook the anchors when they get stuck

Thanks
Rick
Chuck Tribolet

SCUBA tanks. ;-)

If it's stuck, I just tie it off with just a couple of feet of slack, and
back away at various angles.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Diver1055" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I just just bought another boat which has a windlass. My previous boats did
not have a windlass so I used grapling hook anchors which where very easy to
unjam. Now with the dansforth anchor it is tougher when they get stuck, and
the windlass isn't strong enough to break it free.. So I am wondering what is
the best way to unhook the anchors when they get stuck

Thanks
Rick

JDavis1277

Rick,

A method I've found useful is "tripping" the anchor loose.

It's pretty simple..... if, when you set the anchor, you backed down to the
South..... to trip the anchor motor across it heading due North. Proceed
slowly so you can take up rode as you approach the anchor (don't want the rode
in your wheel). As you pass over the anchor take a couple of turns around an
after cleat with the rode. Continue to apply moderate throttle while heading
North. If the anchor fails to trip free let out some more rode and try again.
Remember to exercise caustion to keep the rode out of the wheel.

Tripping has thus far never failed to free my anchor.

Butch

Chuck wrote:

If it's stuck, I just tie it off with just a couple of feet of slack, and
back away at various angles.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

previous boats
did
not have a windlass so I used grapling hook anchors which where very easy

unjam. Now with the dansforth anchor it is tougher when they get stuck,

and
the windlass isn't strong enough to break it free.. So I am wondering what

is
the best way to unhook the anchors when they get stuck

Thanks
Rick

Harry Krause

Chuck wrote:

If it's stuck, I just tie it off with just a couple of feet of slack, and
back away at various angles.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

previous boats
did
not have a windlass so I used grapling hook anchors which where very easy

unjam. Now with the dansforth anchor it is tougher when they get stuck,

and
the windlass isn't strong enough to break it free.. So I am wondering what

is
the best way to unhook the anchors when they get stuck

Thanks
Rick

Tripping usually works. What you don't want to do is use your windlass
to free a hardstuck anchor. You'll burn out the windlass. If you use
your deck cleats to tie off the rode, first make sure the hardware is
stout and securely fastened, with backup plates. On some cheaply made
boats, I'd not want to use deck hardware, for fear of tearing the cleat
from the deck or tearing out a chunk of the deck itself.

I did not install a windlass on Yo Ho, because she is mainly a fishing
boat, and I didn't want to be tempted to use the windless to raise a
stuck anchor from the typically fouled bottoms found at good fishing
areas. I use an anchor ball to raise the anchor, and sometimes it is
useful in raising a stuck anchor; when you move forward to trip the
anchor, the ball tends to lift it out of whatever is fouling it.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Steve

Anchors are suppose to get "stuck" (or set) that is what holds your boat
against the current and wind. (A grapling hook is not intended for anchoring
unless you have a very rocky bottom, won't hold in gravel or mud.)

The anchor windlass is designed just to recover your anchor and rode. If
your anchor is properly set, it is doubtful that your windlass can break it
out, by it's self.

There are several ways to 'break out' your anchor. Some have already been
mentioned.

Even if you don't have engine power available, you can use the bouyancy of
the boat bow to break out the anchor... Haul in on your rode with the
windlass, until the rode or chain is 'tending Up & Down'. This indicates
your directly over the anchor (or if the rode is fouled, over the snag that
is fouling it). Now secure your rode to a stout cleat or Sampson Post. Not
the anchor windlass, could cause damage to the gearing or ratchet. (I've
even bent the shaft on an ABI manual). If there is any swell or wave action,
your bow will rise and fall. As the bow drops, take in any slack and snub it
off.. After a couple of times, doing this, the bouyancy of the bow will
break out the anchor..

If your anchor tends to get fouled or hung up on snags or under rocks, then
you should be using a trip line to pull it out backwards. You attach this
line (and bouy) to the crown of the anchor and when your ready to retrieve
your anchor and find it is fouled, recover the trip line bouy and pull on it
in the opposite direction from that which you used to set your anchor. Once
cleared, haul in on your anchor rode.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jack Rye

Anchor Retrieval.
Slowly move the boat to a position directly over the anchor, pulling in the
line as you go. Then snub the line on a cleat and power backwards slowly to
pull the anchor out of the bottom. Do not power forward because that will
require more energy and put very heavy loads on the anchor and gear.

Jack
"Diver1055" wrote in message
Hi,

I just just bought another boat which has a windlass. My previous boats

did
not have a windlass so I used grapling hook anchors which where very easy

unjam. Now with the dansforth anchor it is tougher when they get stuck,

and
the windlass isn't strong enough to break it free.. So I am wondering

what is
the best way to unhook the anchors when they get stuck

Thanks
Rick

NOYB

One thing I can advise you *NOT* to do (especially in smaller open boats
with low-profile transoms):

Do NOT tie the rope to a rear cleat, and with slack in the line, drive
forward until the rope is tight.

The boat will stop. The rope will act like a rubber band, and you'll be
pulled backwards. The following sea will keep going, however...and go right
over your transom.

Thankfully, I learned this valuable lesson in a Boston Whaler...a great boat
for protecting captains from their own stupidity.

"Diver1055" wrote in message
Hi,

I just just bought another boat which has a windlass. My previous boats

did
not have a windlass so I used grapling hook anchors which where very easy

unjam. Now with the dansforth anchor it is tougher when they get stuck,

and
the windlass isn't strong enough to break it free.. So I am wondering

what is
the best way to unhook the anchors when they get stuck

Thanks
Rick

JDavis1277

Bob,

You're such a clever and amusing fellow.

Butch

Ever helpful, Bob wrote: Cut the rope or chain and you will be free. LOL