Default Care of equipment

OK, Now I am curious. Somebody pointed out my bad luck with equipment
in another thread and I am wondering if it is due to the way I treat
my stuff. For example, my neighbor noticed that I leave my VHF and
fishfinder/depthsounder on the console of my Tolman Skiff out in the
rain all the time and said I should bring it inside. My thinking is
that I bought them because they said "Submersible" so they should take
being outside in Florida.
I carry my handheld VHF and GPS around in my sail bag with some heavy
tools and I throw it down into the cabin when I get aboard. Is this
abuse or normal use?

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
OK, Now I am curious. Somebody pointed out my bad luck with equipment
in another thread and I am wondering if it is due to the way I treat
my stuff. For example, my neighbor noticed that I leave my VHF and
fishfinder/depthsounder on the console of my Tolman Skiff out in the
rain all the time and said I should bring it inside. My thinking is
that I bought them because they said "Submersible" so they should take
being outside in Florida.
I carry my handheld VHF and GPS around in my sail bag with some heavy
tools and I throw it down into the cabin when I get aboard. Is this
abuse or normal use?

Not at all. The VHF and GPS are designed to take abuse worse than this. Next
time use a hammer on them before you throw them down the stairs! LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Dec 2, 3:14 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

OK, Now I am curious. Somebody pointed out my bad luck with equipment
in another thread and I am wondering if it is due to the way I treat
my stuff. For example, my neighbor noticed that I leave my VHF and
fishfinder/depthsounder on the console of my Tolman Skiff out in the
rain all the time and said I should bring it inside. My thinking is
that I bought them because they said "Submersible" so they should take
being outside in Florida.
I carry my handheld VHF and GPS around in my sail bag with some heavy
tools and I throw it down into the cabin when I get aboard. Is this
abuse or normal use?

Not at all. The VHF and GPS are designed to take abuse worse than this. Next
time use a hammer on them before you throw them down the stairs! LOL

--
"j" ganz

Hmmm, sarcasm meter goes one way then the other and settles on zero,
maybe its broke too.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Dec 2, 3:14 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

Heh... sorry.

Seriously though... I tend to treat my equipment gingerly in the hope that
when I don't have that option, it still works. I cover my deck instruments,
etc.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Frogwatch wrote:
OK, Now I am curious. *Somebody pointed out my bad luck with equipment
in another thread and I am wondering if it is due to the way I treat
my stuff. *For example, my neighbor noticed that I leave my VHF and
fishfinder/depthsounder on the console of my Tolman Skiff out in the
rain all the time and said I should bring it inside. *My thinking is
that I bought them because they said "Submersible" so they should take
being outside in Florida.

The faults may not be in the VHF itself but in the wiring &
connections leading to it.
Especially the antenna

I carry my handheld VHF and GPS around in my sail bag with some heavy
tools and I throw it down into the cabin when I get aboard. *Is this
abuse or normal use?

I hope you're kidding.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:02:16 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

OK, Now I am curious. Somebody pointed out my bad luck with equipment
in another thread and I am wondering if it is due to the way I treat
my stuff. For example, my neighbor noticed that I leave my VHF and
fishfinder/depthsounder on the console of my Tolman Skiff out in the
rain all the time and said I should bring it inside. My thinking is
that I bought them because they said "Submersible" so they should take
being outside in Florida.
I carry my handheld VHF and GPS around in my sail bag with some heavy
tools and I throw it down into the cabin when I get aboard. Is this
abuse or normal use?

Neither thermal cycling, humidity cycling nor hi-G transients are
calculated to improve product life. Yet any one of these treatments
can fail an otherwise useful device.
But you knew that.
Live with the utility and sacrifice life - or live with the lifespan
you'd like, and sacrifice utility.....

Brian W

wrote:
[...]

Maybe I just expected too much from my electronic stuff and its just
too fragile. My old hand compass has been thrown in cave pack and
dropped hundreds of feet, dragged thru mud and water, subjected to
bizarro conditions and still works great. Oddly, I treat my optical
gear with great respect. OK, y'all taught me something. Its gonna be
26 degrees tonight (SRSLY) so I'll go bring in the Tolman electronics.

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:25:37 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Dec 2, 3:14 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

There is a very old saying that applies to many things: Take care of
your tools and they will take care of you.

MARINE EQUIPMENT Shahnawaz Merchant Electronics 1 September 4th 07 04:59 PM
Rafting equipment? Bucky General 0 March 5th 07 06:24 PM
Storage ,,, where do you keep your equipment ,, Thomas Wentworth Cruising 14 June 14th 06 10:28 PM
Safety Equipment FS Barve New Whirl General 0 November 17th 04 12:43 AM
equipment catalog Stephen Yoder Boat Building 2 September 23rd 03 12:25 AM