Thomas Wentworth

Default Storage ,,, where do you keep your equipment ,,

I have pulled everything out. Taking a look at how I store whatever and
where.

For fun, what do you ( cruising sailboat sailors ) and where do you store
your equipment.

As in ::: what goes in the lazaret? what goes in port locker? starboard
locker? what goes under the ??? and what goes over the ?????

bushman

Good question!
I am doing the same. One thing that helped out for me on my last boat was to
paint all the lockers white high gloss enamle. This added a lot of light to
those deep lockers and made it easeir to find things. Now I have huge
lockers, starboard locker I can stand in and just see into the cockpit. So I
am painting everthing white again and devising shelving and hangers etc. But
what should go where?
- Allen

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
news7Bhg.3656$F%3.1460@trndny07...
I have pulled everything out. Taking a look at how I store whatever and
where.

For fun, what do you ( cruising sailboat sailors ) and where do you store
your equipment.

As in ::: what goes in the lazaret? what goes in port locker? starboard
locker? what goes under the ??? and what goes over the ?????

Larry

"bushman" wrote in
:

Good question!
I am doing the same. One thing that helped out for me on my last boat
was to paint all the lockers white high gloss enamle. This added a lot
of light to those deep lockers and made it easeir to find things. Now
I have huge lockers, starboard locker I can stand in and just see into
the cockpit. So I am painting everthing white again and devising
shelving and hangers etc. But what should go where?
- Allen

Man, I'm stayin' away from you guys! Last time Cap'n Geoffrey hauled it
all out on the dock we decided to haul half a ton of it to the parking lot!

I think it collects "stuff" by itself when noone boards it for 8 hours. We
didn't haul all that stuff to the boat, did we?....(c;

Why does a boat need FOUR hammers, anyway?

Stowage principles (from the operating manual of my cruiser)

Rule 1: Keep the ends of the boat (bow, stern and masthead) light.

The formula by which pitching moment of inertia is calculated is:

Pitching moment of inertia = mass x (distance from CG)^2

Moving a mass equal to just 1% of the displacement of the boat (ie 60
kg) from midships to the bow or the stern would increase the total
resistance due to heave and pitch by about 1600%. This is especially
important when beating to windward.

Rule 2 (a repeat of Rule 1, because it is important and yet easily
ignored): Keep heavy objects as close as practicable to the centre of
gravity.

Sailing yachts are fastest when the mass is concentrated in the middle
of the boat. The more mass in the ends, the more the boat tends to bury
in one wave and lift high over the next, slowing her down.

Halving the distance between any heavy object and the centre of gravity
reduces the contribution of that object to the pitching moment of
inertia by one-quarter.

Rule 3: Keep heavy objects low and inboard.

Mass higher than the ballast reduces the righting arm provided by the
ballast to the extent of the product of that mass multiplied by its
height above the ballast. Mass outboard of the centreline similarly
reduces the righting arm provided by the ballast, depending on the
tack.

Heavy stores should be in the lockers below the settee and the sea
berth.

Rule 4: Do not allow the loaded waterline to be raised above the design
waterline by more than 1% of the LWL.

Rule 5: Stow as if the boat will roll 180°.

All loose objects have to be stowed in a locker. All lockers must have
positive latches. Nothing should be stowed on the cabin sole, the chart
table, workbench, or counter tops.

Rule 6: Stow to maintain longitudinal (fore-aft) and athwartships trim.

Avoid stowage that lists the boat to port or starboard. Avoid stowage
that makes the boat trim bow down or stern down. A bow-down boat has a
tiny advantage over a boat trimmed on her waterline on an upwind
passage. Similarly, a stern-down boat has a tiny advantage on a
downwind passage. Trimming bow down or stern down by exactly the right
amount is elusive however, so the better option is to aim to trim the
boat on her waterline.

Rule 7: Stow for accessibility and with logic.

Often used items have to be stowed for easy retrieval. A few commonly
used tools - screwdriver, pliers, shackle key, knife - have to be
accessible without unpacking the tool bin. Food stowage has to allow
meal preparation with minimum preparation. The medical kit and other
emergency items have to be stowed so they can be accessed quickly.

Put similar items together. Put items close to where they will be used.

Rule 8: Avoid stowage that obstructs critical equipment and controls,
including seacocks and diverter valves. Do not allow electronic
appliances (eg mobile phones) to be used or ferrous objects to be
stowed near the steering compass or either of the two fixed electronic
compass units.

Rule 9: Budget time to reposition items (over-stowage), locate lost
items, and put away items at the end of tasks.

The International Space Station standard is to accept that each crew
member spends 45 minutes on over-stowing each day. Measures to minimise
over-stowage are good, but eliminating it completely may not be
possible. Returning tools and stores to their assigned location - and
so making them accessible - is always possible.

Rule 10: Document stowage, maintain a location coding system, and allow
for occasional non-standard stowage. Maintain an inventory to prevent
oversupply of unnecessary items and undersupply of necessary ones.

Rule 11: Stow for compactness and silence. Use tea towels to keep
galley gear (crockery, pots) from moving and clattering.

Rule 12: Protect sleeping berths from stowage.

Dennis Pogson

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Probably a little more than I was looking for but very insightful. I
will print a copy of this email.. give me a "go by".

=======
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have a friend who did the Azores-and-back singlehanded race a few years
ago. He decided to keep the heavy liferaft down below, "to keep the weight
out of the ends". About halfway across the Pond, a huge whale surfaced right
beside him. To this day he does not remember how that liferaft arrived in
the cockpit in 10 seconds, but it did!

Keep your safety equipment to hand, regardless, and sod the pitching!

Dennis.

Thomas Wentworth

I'm curious ... did the whale just surface or did the whale sink his boat?

From what I am hearing from sailors ,, there are lots of whales just off the
coast of Maine. More than in years past.

I don't know why the whales are coming in so close to shore, probably food.
But a 40 tom whale and a 6 ton boat ?????????

When that happens ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

You get the "take home game".

==================================
"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Probably a little more than I was looking for but very insightful. I
will print a copy of this email.. give me a "go by".

=======
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Mark Borgerson

In article ,
says...
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in

I don't know why the whales are coming in so close to shore, probably
food. But a 40 tom whale and a 6 ton boat ?????????

I was headed north, about 90 miles off the Georgia Coast with another
sailor in a 35' Endeavour sloop. My bud, Lloyd, had gone to bed when I
relieved him at midnight in a nice beam reach, around 20 knots and
steady, which the Endeavour just loves.

Alone in the cockpit, mesmerized by the color radar display and unable to
see into the pitch dark beyond the bow light, I was half asleep around
3AM when, suddenly and without warning, "something" surfaced out in the
dark quite closely off the starboard beam. It was quite loud, made an
impressive splash I could only hear, just like you see in the Pacific
Life TV commercials, then all was quiet, again, as I sat there in the
dark, all alone, adrenalin pouring through my veins making every
extermity just tingle.

4AM came and and went, my watch over, but I was now WIDE awake pouring
over the displays and helm as if I'd just come on watch after sleeping 12
hours, instead of the two I'd had before the mid watch. Lloyd slept on,
unaware, until about 6:30AM when he scrambled into the cockpit, thinking
I'd fallen overboard and the autopilot had gone on without me. He said
my face was still looking a bit shocked after I related my early morning
brush with "something out there in the dark"....(c;

The way Lloyd snores, he never heard a thing....

Amazing how a close encounter of the cetacean kind can revitalize
a boring watch!

I was sailing single-handed near Keyport in Puget Sound. It
was about 8AM and about 25 yards visibility in a patch of
fog when a pilot whale (or possible an orca) decided it
had to breathe about 5 yards off my port quarter. I was
EXTREMELY happy when the visibility improved and it next
surfaced about 80 yards ahead of me.

As events in BC over the last few years have shown, an
orca or small pilot whale can do serious damage to
a small craft if it gets too curious.

google "luna orca bc" to see the stories.

Back to storage:

I keep anchors and chain in the bow and/or stern lockers
despite the pitching moment issues. Common sense
prevails in coastal cruising. Were I 150 miles offshore,
the anchors might go below, to be replaced by overboard
bags at the ends. (If there's a fire in the cockpit,
it might be handy to have an overboard bag up front).

For family cruising in protected waters, it might actually
be nice to increase the pitching moment. It can reduce
the amount of heaving over the downwind cockpit coaming. ;-)
Sailing efficiency might go down, but crew efficiency
could increase enough to balance that.

Mark Borgerson

MMC

A Chris Craft Carribean (1973 35' sail boat) owner showed me how he had delt
with heavy tools he didn't need often.
He cut access hatches over drawers mounted under bunks and settees and when
he pulled the drawers all the way to the stops he could stash these items in
the little space underneath (curved void). Not a lot of room, but any space
on a 35' boat is precious.
Same can be done for the settee backrests, if not already.
Something I find on a lot of boats is the access hatches under the settees
and bunks aren't big enough to really use the space. Items that aren't
easily accessable tend to get forgotten, so the space isn't used as well as
it could be.
MMC
"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
ps.com...
bushman wrote:
Good question!
I am doing the same. One thing that helped out for me on my last boat

was to
paint all the lockers white high gloss enamle. This added a lot of light

those deep lockers and made it easeir to find things.

I've just started, but there are some pix of the results, doing
something which makes seeing stuff in the closets and on the shelves
enormously easier...

I used rope lighting, controlled by a button switch, all around the
frame. In a laz, it would point down, in the closets, it points
outboard. Open the door, and it's illuminated, at the rate of
.05A/foot.

Thus, the closet forward, which has about 6 feet of rope, draws .3A
when it's open.

Those interested will have to wade through some pix to see it
completely, but

http://www.justpickone.org/skip/gall...-Late&start=21
has the start of those pix of the forward closet project. Also in that
general area is the teflon strips I did to our companionways, and some
more clamptite pictures of the forward head...

We're blessed with an abundance of storage available, but I'll be
following this thread with interest as how to easiest access stuff you
need, or to put stuff you don't often need where it's not taking up
immediate access space is interesting to us...

L8R

Skip, on the hard in a family reunion, saying goodbye as we round third
to our departure...

purple_stars

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
I have pulled everything out. Taking a look at how I store whatever and
where.

For fun, what do you ( cruising sailboat sailors ) and where do you store
your equipment.

As in ::: what goes in the lazaret? what goes in port locker? starboard
locker? what goes under the ??? and what goes over the ?????

this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but it's related. one
thing my step-father does that i used to think was a little over the
top is that he catalogs basically everything. though overkill in a
house, in my opinion, i have started to do this with some things and
i've found it extremely helpful. it's so nice to just be able to look
and see what you have on paper and know where it's stored. on a boat i
would think this would be extremely useful, to keep some kind of
informal or even formal database of pretty much everything that is on
the boat and where it is. especially useful when it's time to go
shopping to replace things you've used.

another thought that comes to mind because i've been focused on it a
lot lately is simply buying containers for things. how often does
stuff just sit around in the plastic bag you walked out of the store
with, or how often have you kept some dumb cardboard box that some
piece of electronics came in, etc. just taking all the dvd's out of
their plastic containers and putting them all into one hard case
container made to hold them saved me quite a few cubic feet of space,
now what used to be piles of dvd's all fit in two little metal cases.
who really reads those little fold out papers in a dvd case anyway, and
do you really watch the "bonus material" they insist on sending along
with the movie ?

of very high value for me is keeping all the software i install on a
computer in one spot, usually in a notebook. that goes for radio
equipment too, all those little user manuals you are going to someday
need but don't want laying around, it all goes into a notebook. that's
stuff that i would normally toss down on a table somewhere and
eventually lose. i find that very helpful for obvious reasons, but
it's also useful for not so obvious reasons ... when that special
antenna gets busted and you're left trying to remember where you bought
it so you can replace it, it's nice to have a receipt showing where it
came from.

in short, when i buy things now i am, more and more, really trying to
think in advance how i'm going to store it, how i'm going to remember i
even bought it, where to put it to have it handy, etc. it's all new to
me, i have piles of cardboard boxes in storage buildings that i don't
even know what's in them anymore lol.