Bil Bil is offline

Default removing pencil zinc from anode holder

How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Bil

"Bil" wrote in message
How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Try a 'broken tap extractor' but if all else fails drop the whole thing in
some battery acid until all the zince has gone

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:53:27 -0800 (PST), Bil
wrote:

How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Bil

Melt it out?
Zinc -419.53 °C, 787.15 °F, Bronze 950 degrees C

wrote:

How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Bil

If the zinc is that far gone it is usually pretty fragile. Try
drilling the remains out and cleaning the threads with some small
sharp pointed piece of metal.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Put it on your checklist of things to do BEFORE they rot out that far?

I second the recommendation to drill it out, zinc is pretty soft and should
come out without too much trouble. Try an easy-out first and if that fails
just drill more of it out and then pick out the remains.

I did all of the things that have been posted here to try to salvage a brass
anode holder. I finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for about $5 or
so more than the zinc.

David

"David Marchand" wrote in message
I did all of the things that have been posted here to try to salvage a
brass anode holder. I finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for about
$5 or so more than the zinc.

David

Yep... sometimes throwing money at a problem *is* the solution. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:33:59 -0800, "David Marchand"
wrote:

I did all of the things that have been posted here to try to salvage a brass
anode holder. I finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for about $5 or
so more than the zinc.

Getting into a boiled egg can be tricky for some people..

wrote:

I did all of the things that have been posted here to try to salvage a
brass
anode holder. I finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for about $5 or
so more than the zinc.

Getting into a boiled egg can be tricky for some people..

I've heard it's quite cramped in there....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Leave it in white vinegar for a few days. Maybe needs new vinegar
after a few days if it's a large one.

wrote:

How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Bil

Erosion of the Zinc anode and HF transmission via PacTOR modem andSailmail Bil Electronics 14 February 12th 08 03:38 AM
Here you go, dude, sq rt w/pencil & paper JAXAshby ASA 10 March 14th 04 03:47 PM
Pencil zincs Messing In Boats General 5 October 25th 03 02:00 PM
Pencil zincs Messing In Boats Cruising 2 October 25th 03 02:00 PM
Pencil Zincs for Universal M-18 Baybyter Cruising 4 September 30th 03 03:15 PM