BoatBanter.com

-   -   removing pencil zinc from anode holder (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/100494-removing-pencil-zinc-anode-holder.html)

Bil December 1st 08 10:53 PM

removing pencil zinc from anode holder

How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Bil

Edgar December 1st 08 11:12 PM

"Bil" wrote in message
How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Try a 'broken tap extractor' but if all else fails drop the whole thing in
some battery acid until all the zince has gone

Goofball_star_dot_etal December 1st 08 11:17 PM

removing pencil zinc from anode holder

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:53:27 -0800 (PST), Bil
wrote:

How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Bil

Melt it out?
Zinc -419.53 °C, 787.15 °F, Bronze 950 degrees C

Bruce In Bangkok December 2nd 08 12:28 AM

wrote:

How can I remove the stub of a pencil zinc from its bronze anode
holder?

The pencil zinc screws into the anode holder. But the loss of zinc
from the anode means that I cannot get a mechanical grip on it to
unscrew it.

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Bil

If the zinc is that far gone it is usually pretty fragile. Try
drilling the remains out and cleaning the threads with some small
sharp pointed piece of metal.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bill Kearney December 2nd 08 12:59 AM

removing pencil zinc from anode holder

Cheers and thanks for ideas

Put it on your checklist of things to do BEFORE they rot out that far?

I second the recommendation to drill it out, zinc is pretty soft and should
come out without too much trouble. Try an easy-out first and if that fails
just drill more of it out and then pick out the remains.

David Marchand December 2nd 08 02:33 AM

removing pencil zinc from anode holder

I did all of the things that have been posted here to try to salvage a brass
anode holder. I finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for about $5 or
so more than the zinc.

David

Capt. JG December 2nd 08 03:41 AM

"David Marchand" wrote in message
I did all of the things that have been posted here to try to salvage a
brass anode holder. I finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for about
$5 or so more than the zinc.

David

Yep... sometimes throwing money at a problem *is* the solution. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Goofball_star_dot_etal December 2nd 08 05:16 PM

removing pencil zinc from anode holder

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:33:59 -0800, "David Marchand"
wrote:

I did all of the things that have been posted here to try to salvage a brass
anode holder. I finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for about $5 or
so more than the zinc.

Getting into a boiled egg can be tricky for some people..

Capt. JG December 2nd 08 06:41 PM

wrote:

I did all of the things that have been posted here to try to salvage a
brass
anode holder. I finally gave up and bought a new one at WM for about $5 or
so more than the zinc.

Getting into a boiled egg can be tricky for some people..

I've heard it's quite cramped in there....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[email protected] December 2nd 08 09:00 PM

removing pencil zinc from anode holder

Leave it in white vinegar for a few days. Maybe needs new vinegar
after a few days if it's a large one.