Puerto Mio

Default Protecting against sal****er

I just bought a Sea Ray 215 and I'm somewhat new to the sal****er.
Other than not putting it in the salty water, what is the best way to
protect my boat after I take it out? Are there compounds that I
should use when washing? I sometimes see people spraying their boats
down with something coming out of a weed-sprayer type contraption.
Any idea what that might be?

Also, is regular Turtle Wax fine to use on the boat?

Thanks.
JAXAshby

The best protection for your boat in salt water it to make sure you
have zincs.
There are solutions that you can buy that help dissolve the salt, but
I just wash my boat with some soapy water.

huh? zincs and/or soapy water protect a fiberglass boat from sal****er? Since
when?
Tom Shilson

JAXAshby wrote:

huh? zincs and/or soapy water protect a fiberglass boat from sal****er? Since
when?

Zincs protect against galvanic corrosion, which is more of a problem in
salt water than fresh.

Also, clean never hurts.

Tom
of the Swee****er Sea

Les Dennis

"Tom Shilson" wrote in message
news
JAXAshby wrote:

huh? zincs and/or soapy water protect a fiberglass boat from sal****er?

Since
when?

Zincs protect against galvanic corrosion, which is more of a problem in
salt water than fresh.

Also, clean never hurts.

Sacrificial Zincs are designed to deliberately corrode protecting the rest
of the yacht.

JAXAshby

Sacrificial Zincs are designed to deliberately corrode protecting the rest
of the yacht.

including the fiberglass, but not the wood?
Tom Shilson

JAXAshby wrote:
protects what kind of fiberglass from what did you say?

snip
OK, so we got carried away. We were talking about a fiberglass *boat*,
which includes certain metal underwater parts, e.g. propeller,
through-hulls, rudder shaft etc.

You are correct, the zincs don't protect the fiberglass itself. It will
protect the boat.

The biggest danger to the fiberglass parts, other than collision, is
probably UV sunlight. The wax will help protect that. Washing will
remove salt (corrosive) and, properly done, protect the wax.

OK?

Tom
of the Swee****er Sea

Tom Shilson

JAXAshby wrote:

Sacrificial Zincs are designed to deliberately corrode protecting the rest
of the yacht.

including the fiberglass, but not the wood?

Actually, the zincs will help protect submerged wood on a boat. It is
subject to some galvanic corrosion also.

Tom
of the Swee****er Sea

JAXAshby

zincs will help protect submerged wood on a boat. It is
subject to some galvanic corrosion also.

really? wood becomes the anode or the cathode? I guess I have never seen a
battery with wooden plates before.