posted to rec.boats.building

Default Crips lines in Gelcoat

I'm re-gelcoating a boat. I am spraying the field one color, and a
different color boot stripe. I am trying to achieve a very crisp line
between the two colors but it's proving to be a challenge with the
thickness of gelcoat I'm trying to build at approx 20-25 mils.

I'm spray the stripe first taped on the top and bottom edge. Spraying
the dark blue after.

Need a very crisp line between the two. This way after it is sanded,
the two colors will be flat, just like it popped out of the mold.

I'm using 5 layers of 3M's 213 fine line tape, one layer right over
the other both edges of the boottop. Then spraying the gelcoat until
it fills the void.

Pulling the tape while the gelcoat is tacky results in an edge that
sags.

Pulling the tape after it sets up results in a chipped edge.

I am now sanding the over spray off the top layer of tape until the
tape's edge is exposed. This yields a very crisp line, but it is labor
intensive.

Are there any tricks out there?
How do they put stripes in a mold?
I'm trying to achieve perfection cuz good enough is just not good
enough.
Thanks,
Dan

posted to rec.boats.building

It is much easier in a mold. When the stripe coat is still tacky razor blade
the edge. Then wait until almost set, then remove the tape. In the mold,
simply spray the next color over everything.
Steve

"Dan Hapster" Dan@ wrote in message
[...]

dan spray the strip first and as the gel coat just starts getting tacky pull
of the tape, once your strip is cured cover it with reinforced packing tape
(tape with glass fibre embedded in it ) ensure you don't go over the edge
of the strip and spray over the strip with your main colour and again as
the gel coat gets tacky peel off your reinforced packing tape .
A quick once over with a flat board will give you your crisp line with out
too much sweat and i can recommend mirka abranet to make your life even
easier
when we spray lines in a mould we tape , spray the lines and while the
gelcoat is still wet we remove the tape then continue to spray with the
base colour directly over the lines , if we let the lines cure then
continue with the spray then we would risk getting elephant skin with the
lines
hope this awnsers your questions and helps make your work easier
greg

Gelcoat vs.LP ashore Boat Building 9 August 24th 07 12:25 AM
gelcoat Terry Spragg Boat Building 0 November 30th 05 06:11 PM
Gelcoat steve620 General 7 March 13th 05 02:23 PM
Gelcoat Grumpy General 4 December 21st 03 07:47 PM
Off Her Lines Bobsprit ASA 2 August 13th 03 09:05 PM