posted to rec.boats.building

Default 4 stroke outboard for 2 stroke design - 14 ft skiff

I'm pretty sure folks have addressed this before, but in my
ignorance, I don't find the answer.

I'm building a Diablo (a Bolger design, plans from Payson http://
www.instantboats.com/), my first attempt a woodworking (not to
mention boat building!), and all is going along nicely.

Due to my environmental leanings and sufficient wallet, I'm wanting
to buy a new 4 stroke outboard for the boat. In addition, I want to
set it up with a center console, not unlike the top one he http://
diabloboat.homestead.com/other2.html.

Should I be concerned about the weight of these motors? When the
boat was designed, it was assumed that the motor would be in the
weight range of 2-stroke motors. I don't want to violate the
principles that make the Bolger design so popular with beginners, yet
I like the idea of putting 20 hp on it (it's a motor boat, and should
go fast - I've got a canoe for puttering about).

Helpful advice appreciated!
posted to rec.boats.building

In article b7e1c1d7-e674-44e8-b092-
,
says...
[...]

Check the weights of the engines. I did a quick Web search and a Nisson
or Tohatsu 4 stroke 20 HP weighs between 114 and 120 pounds. A Mercury 2
stroke 20 HP weighs 114/120 pounds depending on shaft length.

The center consol is pretty close the the center of buoyancy so
shouldn't have much effect on trim.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok