posted to rec.boats.building

Default Ford 302 oil consumption

Gentlemen,
I have a 1972 SeaRay SRV200 with Ford 302 engine that smokes profusely. I
checked compression. It is 120 acrosss all 8 cylinders. I replaced the
valve stem seals. Still smokes bad. Can all 8 cylinder's oil rings be worn
out, which the compression rings are good, or is the oil coming from
somewhere else, like the valve guide being worn in the heads, etc? I'd hate
to pull the whole engine if I can get away with something faster and
cheaper. Thanks for any ideas.
George

posted to rec.boats.building
Bob Bob is offline

On May 26, 7:37*am, "George" wrote:
Gentlemen,
I have a 1972 SeaRay SRV200 with Ford 302 engine that smokes profusely. *I
checked compression. *It is 120 acrosss all 8 cylinders.

I had one of thoes.... in a truck~

What color is the smoke:
Blue
Black
White

*I replaced the
valve stem seals. *Still smokes bad.

When:
Under load at operating rpm
No load at operating rpm
on excelleration
on throttle back
just when cold on start up and then clears when warms?
hows the fuel???????? age, water??

etc.....

get the idea? grab a Motor manual and check out the troubnle shooting
section. there are lots of questions that need to be answered.

bob

Can all 8 cylinder's oil rings be worn
out, which the compression rings are good, or is the oil coming from
somewhere else, like the valve guide being worn in the heads, etc? *I'd hate
to pull the whole engine if I can get away with something faster and
cheaper. Thanks for any ideas.
George

posted to rec.boats.building
MC MC is offline

Bob,
It is blue. Uses oil like crazy.

"Bob" wrote in message
On May 26, 7:37 am, "George" wrote:
[...]

On Mon, 26 May 2008 11:37:35 -0400, "George"
wrote:

Gentlemen,
I have a 1972 SeaRay SRV200 with Ford 302 engine that smokes profusely. I
checked compression. It is 120 acrosss all 8 cylinders. I replaced the
valve stem seals. Still smokes bad. Can all 8 cylinder's oil rings be worn
out, which the compression rings are good, or is the oil coming from
somewhere else, like the valve guide being worn in the heads, etc? I'd hate
to pull the whole engine if I can get away with something faster and
cheaper. Thanks for any ideas.
George

The ol faithful approach to chosing beween valves and piston rings is
with a spoon of oil through the plug hole to look for a
compression pressure rise due to sealing the rings (temporarily)

The 120 looks high, but maybe it will go higher?

Brian W
posted to rec.boats.building

oil can also be drawn into the engine by the vacuum system and a faulty PVC
valve or the equivalent valve to allow air but not oil to pass. Fuel pump
diaphragm leaking can get oil into the fuel too.
This just sounds like something less serious than an engine problem.
Do the plugs all seem to be burning the same amount of oil, based on the
deposits on them?

You didn't say, but does the boat run well despite the oil usage?

BillB

"George" wrote in message
m...
Gentlemen,
I have a 1972 SeaRay SRV200 with Ford 302 engine that smokes profusely. I
checked compression. It is 120 acrosss all 8 cylinders. I replaced the
valve stem seals. Still smokes bad. Can all 8 cylinder's oil rings be
worn out, which the compression rings are good, or is the oil coming from
somewhere else, like the valve guide being worn in the heads, etc? I'd
hate to pull the whole engine if I can get away with something faster and
cheaper. Thanks for any ideas.
George

posted to rec.boats.building
den den is offline

Hello George:
I had the same indications. Pulled the engine, and completely
rebuilt it anyway. Invited an old salt (Al D.) over to my boat, and he
interviewed me over a sixpack. He took another swig on his beer, and
said "intake manifold". Tryin to catch up I took 2 more swigs, and
said No Way. We eventually ran out of beer and I removed the Carb, and
took a flashlight to the intake ports. One was stepped up, and
couldn't tell if Al was right or not. After removing the intake
manifold I rolled it over to find a tin plate on the bottom. I popped
the rivets holding the tin and lo and behold there was a hole about
the size of 2 golf balls in the cast iron. It seems that if you do not
get the engine hot enough to evaporate the moisture there it will
definately rust it away. I found the same situation in the port
engine. This brings back fond memories of San Diego, and Al.
I aint no "old salt" but I hope this expands your thinking.

Den 48ftYF EAGLE
http://www.densnet.com
posted to rec.boats.building
MC MC is offline

Brian, Bill, Den,
Thanks for the ideas. To answer your questions, the plugs all get fouled up
equally. If I idle for long, I'm in trouble. The plugs get bad and it
starts missing. I'll have to check the fuel pump and intake manifold for
leaks, along with the PCV valve. It does seem odd that all cylinders foul
the plugs equally, if rings were suspect...unless all 8 cylinders were worn
the same. I have to get some time to take things apart and look around.

"den" wrote in message
[...]

I should add, it smokes under all throttle conditions, load conditions,
temperatures, new fuel, old fuel, etc. Never does it not smoke. Always
the same. Starts right up and smokes the same, always. Runs great, but
uses a lot of oil.
George

m...

On May 29, 5:38 pm, den wrote:
[...]

I bought a 1968 34' TollyCraft with only the Stbd engine running for
$12K.
My brother came down and we pulled the Port engine apart to find out
why cylinders were full of water.
Boy, did we scratch our heads. Could not find anything wrong. Then
Dan, my brother, happened to look at the new
gasket kit we bought and compare it to the gaskets that were on the
engine.
Someone had put an auto gasket kit onto a marine engine. It seems that
there is a vast difference. The marine gasket blocks some
of the water circ holes. That was where the water was invading the
engine. With the new marine gasket kit, the engine roared to life
and has been running good ever since.
There is a difference in gasket kits. Marine and auto. Unless you are
a crackerjack marine mechanic, don't think just because the 302
accepts
car gaskets, that they will do the job. There is a reason that they
sell marine gaskets and auto separately. I didn't know that.
We used Scotch guard and diesel to scrub out the holes and the piston
tops. We didn't even have to pull the pistons.
By myself, I would have never figured it out.
Hat is off to my brother Dan.
posted to rec.boats.building

I looked at the replies, and I think Bill and specially Den are onto
the likely cause - a direct route from the block to the intake
manifold - not your average problem, but still a bear to sort out, I
expect!

Brian W

"den" wrote in message
[...]

Fuel consumption Harold Fontemier General 6 July 9th 06 04:46 AM
Big Block Oil Consumption Jeff M. General 3 July 13th 05 11:49 AM
Fuel consumption? Scott Vernon ASA 51 September 29th 04 12:52 AM
fuel consumption 9.9 hp Gammara2 Cruising 6 November 17th 03 03:44 AM
Gas Consumption: Help Steve Cruising 1 November 14th 03 02:42 AM