posted to rec.boats.building
Bill B Bill B is offline

Default Ford 302 oil consumption

oil can also be drawn into the engine by the vacuum system and a faulty PVC
valve or the equivalent valve to allow air but not oil to pass. Fuel pump
diaphragm leaking can get oil into the fuel too.
This just sounds like something less serious than an engine problem.
Do the plugs all seem to be burning the same amount of oil, based on the
deposits on them?

You didn't say, but does the boat run well despite the oil usage?

BillB

"George" wrote in message
m...
Gentlemen,
I have a 1972 SeaRay SRV200 with Ford 302 engine that smokes profusely. I
checked compression. It is 120 acrosss all 8 cylinders. I replaced the
valve stem seals. Still smokes bad. Can all 8 cylinder's oil rings be
worn out, which the compression rings are good, or is the oil coming from
somewhere else, like the valve guide being worn in the heads, etc? I'd
hate to pull the whole engine if I can get away with something faster and
cheaper. Thanks for any ideas.
George