posted to rec.boats.building

Default PVA

I would like to find some PVA, quick.

I need to make some gelcoat repairs today, and I understand that spraying
PVA on top keeps the gelcoat (white) from discoloring. I'm not sure where
you find PVA, but I think I've heard that hairspray works.

Is this true, or where might I find the real stuff ?

Garland Gray II wrote:
I would like to find some PVA, quick.

I need to make some gelcoat repairs today, and I understand that spraying
PVA on top keeps the gelcoat (white) from discoloring.

PVA is used on top of gelcoat to promote curing, as it seals off the
surface from the air. You can accomplish the same thing by purchasing
"finish gelcoat" instead of the typical "laminating gelcoat". Finish
gelcoat contains a wax that migrates to the surface and seals it so it
will cure properly.

I've never heard of PVA having any effect on gelcoat color.

I'm not sure where
you find PVA, but I think I've heard that hairspray works.

I find that very doubtful.

Is this true, or where might I find the real stuff ?

Any decent marine supplier will have it.

Brian Nystrom wrote:
Garland Gray II wrote:

I would like to find some PVA, quick.

I need to make some gelcoat repairs today, and I understand that
spraying PVA on top keeps the gelcoat (white) from discoloring.

PVA is used on top of gelcoat to promote curing, as it seals off the
surface from the air. You can accomplish the same thing by purchasing
"finish gelcoat" instead of the typical "laminating gelcoat". Finish
gelcoat contains a wax that migrates to the surface and seals it so it
will cure properly.

I've never heard of PVA having any effect on gelcoat color.

I'm not sure where you find PVA, but I think I've heard that hairspray
works.

I find that very doubtful.

Is this true, or where might I find the real stuff ?

Any decent marine supplier will have it.

I've sprayed PVA over polyester laminating resin to make it non-gummy
when cured.

Never heard anything about gellcoat though.

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

cavelamb himself wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote:
Garland Gray II wrote:

[...]

It's the same principle, as both are polyester resin products.

Brian Nystrom wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Garland Gray II wrote:

[...]

Yes, but gell coat has wax mixed in - same as finishing resin.
The Wax floats to the surface during cure and blocks off contact
with air.

PVA (or anything else) is not required.

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

posted to rec.boats.building

cavelamb himself wrote in
m:

It's the same principle, as both are polyester resin products.

Yes, but gell coat has wax mixed in - same as finishing resin.
The Wax floats to the surface during cure and blocks off contact
with air.

PVA (or anything else) is not required.

Richard

Polyester Gel coat comes in waxed and non waxed, non waxed is usually
used for in in-mold layup where the gel coat can cure hard without the
presence of air. You can add wax to non waxed for non mold or in air
curing or use non waxed and seal from air to give a hard cure by
covering with something like PVA. PVA works, as would almost any other
air barrier..
posted to rec.boats.building

Jerry wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote in
m:

It's the same principle, as both are polyester resin products.

Yes, but gell coat has wax mixed in - same as finishing resin.
The Wax floats to the surface during cure and blocks off contact
with air.

PVA (or anything else) is not required.

Richard

Polyester Gel coat comes in waxed and non waxed, non waxed is usually
used for in in-mold layup where the gel coat can cure hard without the
presence of air. You can add wax to non waxed for non mold or in air
curing or use non waxed and seal from air to give a hard cure by
covering with something like PVA. PVA works, as would almost any other
air barrier..

Ya got me there, Jerry.
In that case PVA should work fine...

Richard

Garland Gray II ha scritto:
I would like to find some PVA, quick.

I need to make some gelcoat repairs today, and I understand that spraying
PVA on top keeps the gelcoat (white) from discoloring. I'm not sure where
you find PVA, but I think I've heard that hairspray works.

Is this true, or where might I find the real stuff ?

Isn't PVA just the common and cheap white wood glue you may find in
plastic cans at every hardware store?
Here we call it Vinavil but it is a brand name (like we use Biro for
ballpoint pens...).

Daniel
posted to rec.boats.building

Daniele Fua brought forth on stone tablets:
Garland Gray II ha scritto:

I would like to find some PVA, quick.

I need to make some gelcoat repairs today, and I understand that
spraying PVA on top keeps the gelcoat (white) from discoloring. I'm
not sure where you find PVA, but I think I've heard that hairspray works.

Is this true, or where might I find the real stuff ?

Isn't PVA just the common and cheap white wood glue you may find in
plastic cans at every hardware store?
Here we call it Vinavil but it is a brand name (like we use Biro for
ballpoint pens...).

Daniel

Close, but not quite (although it might work jsut fine for sealing out
air). The PVA in white glue is polyvinyl acetate. The PVA being
discussed in this thread is polyvinyl alcohol.

bob