posted to rec.boats.building
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default PVA

Brian Nystrom wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Garland Gray II wrote:

I would like to find some PVA, quick.

I need to make some gelcoat repairs today, and I understand that
spraying PVA on top keeps the gelcoat (white) from discoloring.

PVA is used on top of gelcoat to promote curing, as it seals off the
surface from the air. You can accomplish the same thing by purchasing
"finish gelcoat" instead of the typical "laminating gelcoat". Finish
gelcoat contains a wax that migrates to the surface and seals it so
it will cure properly.

I've never heard of PVA having any effect on gelcoat color.

I'm not sure where you find PVA, but I think I've heard that
hairspray works.

I find that very doubtful.

Is this true, or where might I find the real stuff ?

Any decent marine supplier will have it.

I've sprayed PVA over polyester laminating resin to make it non-gummy
when cured.

Never heard anything about gellcoat though.

It's the same principle, as both are polyester resin products.

Yes, but gell coat has wax mixed in - same as finishing resin.
The Wax floats to the surface during cure and blocks off contact
with air.

PVA (or anything else) is not required.

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne