posted to rec.boats.building
RW Salnick RW Salnick is offline

Default PVA

Daniele Fua brought forth on stone tablets:
Garland Gray II ha scritto:

I would like to find some PVA, quick.

I need to make some gelcoat repairs today, and I understand that
spraying PVA on top keeps the gelcoat (white) from discoloring. I'm
not sure where you find PVA, but I think I've heard that hairspray works.

Is this true, or where might I find the real stuff ?

Isn't PVA just the common and cheap white wood glue you may find in
plastic cans at every hardware store?
Here we call it Vinavil but it is a brand name (like we use Biro for
ballpoint pens...).

Daniel

Close, but not quite (although it might work jsut fine for sealing out
air). The PVA in white glue is polyvinyl acetate. The PVA being
discussed in this thread is polyvinyl alcohol.

bob