posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Nystrom Brian Nystrom is offline

Default PVA

Garland Gray II wrote:
I would like to find some PVA, quick.

I need to make some gelcoat repairs today, and I understand that spraying
PVA on top keeps the gelcoat (white) from discoloring.

PVA is used on top of gelcoat to promote curing, as it seals off the
surface from the air. You can accomplish the same thing by purchasing
"finish gelcoat" instead of the typical "laminating gelcoat". Finish
gelcoat contains a wax that migrates to the surface and seals it so it
will cure properly.

I've never heard of PVA having any effect on gelcoat color.

I'm not sure where
you find PVA, but I think I've heard that hairspray works.

I find that very doubtful.

Is this true, or where might I find the real stuff ?

Any decent marine supplier will have it.