posted to rec.boats.building

Default phenolic resin with glass fibers

I'm just curious, can phenolic resin be used to wet glass fibers
(chopped strand mat, woven roving)?

On May 16, 6:27*am, Brian Nystrom wrote:
wrote:
I'm just curious, can phenolic resin be used to wet glass fibers
(chopped strand mat, woven roving)?

I've seen phenolic panels with fiberglass in them, so I assume so, but
what are you going to use it for? You should also look into whether the
surface treatment on the glass in question is compatible with the resin.

I don't think you would want to use phenolic on a boat. It soaks up
moisture.
posted to rec.boats.building

Isn't phenolic the resin used in exterior and marine plywood ?

"Capt John" wrote in message

I don't think you would want to use phenolic on a boat. It soaks up
moisture.

posted to rec.boats.building

what i know is that phenolic resin is used to make snooker balls and
it's tough material.

also, they're very resistant to high temperatures.

"Capt John" wrote in message

I don't think you would want to use phenolic on a boat. It soaks up
moisture.

posted to rec.boats.building

No, I don't think it will work well. Perhaps in an autoclave under pressure,
but not in the same manner you do lay up of FG. Try it and report back here.
I would be interested to hear the results.
Steve

wrote in message
I'm just curious, can phenolic resin be used to wet glass fibers
(chopped strand mat, woven roving)?

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote in message
I'm just curious, can phenolic resin be used to wet glass fibers
(chopped strand mat, woven roving)?

Why? Is it cheaper than polyester? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Casady

Which Resin? Chris Boat Building 8 May 15th 06 07:21 AM
Strength: Folded-Up Cloth vs Loose Fibers? (PeteCresswell) Boat Building 5 May 8th 06 05:49 PM
Glass, epoxy resin on teak Joe Bleau Boat Building 2 February 17th 05 04:20 PM
Refinish weathered phenolic? Robert or Karen Swarts Boat Building 2 February 5th 05 09:06 AM
vacuum-bagging an E-glass/polyester resin hull with a bi-axial S-glass epoxy laminate........ Courtney Thomas Boat Building 6 December 20th 03 11:05 PM