BoatBanter.com

-   -   phenolic resin with glass fibers (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/94586-phenolic-resin-glass-fibers.html)

[email protected] May 15th 08 10:12 AM

phenolic resin with glass fibers

I'm just curious, can phenolic resin be used to wet glass fibers
(chopped strand mat, woven roving)?

Brian Nystrom May 16th 08 11:27 AM

wrote:
I'm just curious, can phenolic resin be used to wet glass fibers
(chopped strand mat, woven roving)?

I've seen phenolic panels with fiberglass in them, so I assume so, but
what are you going to use it for? You should also look into whether the
surface treatment on the glass in question is compatible with the resin.

Capt John May 16th 08 05:35 PM

On May 16, 6:27*am, Brian Nystrom wrote:
wrote:
I'm just curious, can phenolic resin be used to wet glass fibers
(chopped strand mat, woven roving)?

I've seen phenolic panels with fiberglass in them, so I assume so, but
what are you going to use it for? You should also look into whether the
surface treatment on the glass in question is compatible with the resin.

I don't think you would want to use phenolic on a boat. It soaks up
moisture.

Garland Gray II[_2_] May 18th 08 01:17 PM

phenolic resin with glass fibers

Isn't phenolic the resin used in exterior and marine plywood ?

[email protected] May 18th 08 03:18 PM

phenolic resin with glass fibers

what i know is that phenolic resin is used to make snooker balls and
it's tough material.

also, they're very resistant to high temperatures.

Steve Lusardi May 25th 08 02:32 PM

phenolic resin with glass fibers

No, I don't think it will work well. Perhaps in an autoclave under pressure,
but not in the same manner you do lay up of FG. Try it and report back here.
I would be interested to hear the results.
Steve

Richard Casady May 25th 08 04:07 PM

phenolic resin with glass fibers

wrote in message
I'm just curious, can phenolic resin be used to wet glass fibers
(chopped strand mat, woven roving)?

Why? Is it cheaper than polyester? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Casady