posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

Default Cracks in the hull

I have acquired a 1977 Chrysler Pirateer. It is a 13' daysailer.
The hull has hundreds of cracks in it. Most of the cracks go through
the gelcoat and through the mat layer. I'm sure some of the cracks go
all the way through the laminate.
I believe the lazy bums left it on the beach over the winter more than
once full of water and it froze.
I think the best approach would be to put a fiberglass skin over the
entire hull.
The boat weighs 300 lbs. I don't to add too much weight.
What fiberglass would you use?
Is it possible to grind down to the mat layer and then glass over the
hull without grinding the cracks all the way out?
Should I just scuff up the gelcoat and put the glass on? If I don't
remove the cracks completely, why even grind the gelcoat completely
away. Not gaining anything.
I am afraid that if I grind the cracks all the way gone, there won't
be a boat left.
Bear in mind that when we sail this, we are real close to shore and if
the boat cracks in half, we just walk to shore. This is just a toy.
Dan

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/...f61fe0.jpg?v=0

Here you can see the cracks going into the mat layer. Perosity.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/...08a63f.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/...77f0dd.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2076/...afc58a.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/...21b07e.jpg?v=0
posted to rec.boats.building

Dan,
If you are going to do that, you might as well make a mold from the existing
hull and then make a new boat. It won't be a lot more work than your repair.
Steve

"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
[...]

No Name

"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
[...]

I agreed with the previous comment. You will be better served by using this
old boat as a mould to build a new one.
First, I would make a cost analyse of fixing this old boat and adding extra
weight, making a mould and building a new boat and finally buying a new one.

posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

I think a coat of primer and a coat of enamel will do just fine.
The boat isn't worth anything so I guess I can't care about the
cracks. Nobody wants a Pirateer.
I'm not going off shore or anything like that. I'm not even racing it.
I'm just playing in it on nice days so I'll just paint it and that's
it.
Flowers is a really good idea though.
posted to rec.boats.building

Dan,
I guess I don't understand why you bothered us on in this newsgroup if you
did not want the boat very much in the first place. Did you think there was
a magic bullet that makes your boat new for free or what?
Steve

"Dan " Dan@ wrote in message ...
I think a coat of primer and a coat of enamel will do just fine.
The boat isn't worth anything so I guess I can't care about the
cracks. Nobody wants a Pirateer.
I'm not going off shore or anything like that. I'm not even racing it.
I'm just playing in it on nice days so I'll just paint it and that's
it.
Flowers is a really good idea though.

posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

On Thu, 1 May 2008 08:30:11 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Dan,
I guess I don't understand why you bothered us on in this newsgroup if you
did not want the boat very much in the first place. Did you think there was
a magic bullet that makes your boat new for free or what?
Steve

Well, I took your comments and went back out to the shop and thought
about using the hull and making a plug. Excellent idea if the boat
would have some value. Even in perfect shape, it would be cost
prohibitive for such an old boat.
All I wanted to do was skin it with 4 or 6oz cloth and wondered what
your thoughts were. When you said it was almost as much work to make a
new hull, I took a good look at it and decided it wasn't the work to
do either.
I changed my mind based on your comments. That's why I asked. You gave
me good advice and I thank you.
Didn't mean to be a bother.
Dan

posted to rec.boats.building

01 May 08, Dan wrote:
Didn't mean to be a bother.

No bother.
It's why most of us are here.
And frankly, what you decided to do is exactly what I was about to
suggest. You can always make a planter out of it later, but before it
comes apart, you might get a little sailing done :-)

Rick
posted to rec.boats.building

Dan
Old doesn't mean less good than new designs. There are classic designs that
perform every bit as well as new designs and quite often better. . This is
especially true with sail designs. After all the only real improvement made
over the years is not the basic design, but in material performance. My
comment wasn't made to be a smart ass, but a 13' ft boat is a perfect size
to get your feet wet in the hobby and as you already have the boat, the real
cost of building is gone. (the cost of outfitting) You have all the parts!
Don't be so ready to quit! Join us.
If you need advise along the way, we are here.
Steve

wrote:

[...]

On Thu, 1 May 2008 22:55:57 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Dan
Old doesn't mean less good than new designs. There are classic designs that
perform every bit as well as new designs and quite often better. . This is
especially true with sail designs. After all the only real improvement made
over the years is not the basic design, but in material performance. My
comment wasn't made to be a smart ass, but a 13' ft boat is a perfect size
to get your feet wet in the hobby and as you already have the boat, the real
cost of building is gone. (the cost of outfitting) You have all the parts!
Don't be so ready to quit! Join us.
If you need advise along the way, we are here.
Steve

Thanks Steve.
I paid $125.00 for the boat. Last year I repaired the huge crack, 3'
long and wide enough to put your hand through. It was great lesson in
fiberglass and boat repair.
I also repaired some of the big cracks and painted the
epoxy/fiberglass with primer to keep the UV off of it for now.
So the boat has very bad red paint on it, some huge spots sanded
through to the orange gelcoat and then, white primer on that. I
painted the numbers on the side with a stencil and a spray can. This
boat looked terrible. I hauled it to the lake on a tandem axle flat
bed trailer behind the custom van. We looked like the Clampett's goin
sail'n. But I didn't care I wanted to go sailing. I only had one day
last year.

I have completed ASA 101 and 103.
So I took the little boat out with my wife. She has no idea how to
sail. We had life jackets on and weren't far from shore at all.
If you really want to know I'll tell you the story, but suffice it to
say we had more fun together that day then we had in many years. We
laughed so hard we had tears in our eyes. That little boat was out of
control. The wind piped up and that boat was flying.
I think having fun is the idea. I also love to learn and believe doing
it is the only way to really learn.
Problem is, this boat's performance is so bad compared to today's new
rockets it has no value anymore. The new boats look like large
surfboards with huge sails.
I had to build a trailer for this boat. So right now I have almost
$900.00 into this boat and it isn't worth anything. But I've learned a
ton, I'm and have a blast with it.
It sits in the shop and gets worked on almost every day. I just wish
it wasn't so destroyed before I got it. My wife bough it for me.
I also own a Catalina C25 that is undergoing major re-furb and has
been for a long time. I have worked on sealing the deck penetrations,
re-installed the motor, re-built the motor, repaired gelcoat, new
electrical system, new teak, sanded topsides completely and on and on
and on…..
I just screw with the little boat until I get the C25 done.