Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

Default Cracks in the hull

I have acquired a 1977 Chrysler Pirateer. It is a 13' daysailer.
The hull has hundreds of cracks in it. Most of the cracks go through
the gelcoat and through the mat layer. I'm sure some of the cracks go
all the way through the laminate.
I believe the lazy bums left it on the beach over the winter more than
once full of water and it froze.
I think the best approach would be to put a fiberglass skin over the
entire hull.
The boat weighs 300 lbs. I don't to add too much weight.
What fiberglass would you use?
Is it possible to grind down to the mat layer and then glass over the
hull without grinding the cracks all the way out?
Should I just scuff up the gelcoat and put the glass on? If I don't
remove the cracks completely, why even grind the gelcoat completely
away. Not gaining anything.
I am afraid that if I grind the cracks all the way gone, there won't
be a boat left.
Bear in mind that when we sail this, we are real close to shore and if
the boat cracks in half, we just walk to shore. This is just a toy.
Dan

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/...f61fe0.jpg?v=0

Here you can see the cracks going into the mat layer. Perosity.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/...08a63f.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/...77f0dd.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2076/...afc58a.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/...21b07e.jpg?v=0