posted to rec.boats.building

Default Outboard engine cooling system question

On Mar 18, 9:14*am, (Richard Casady)
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:19:08 -0500, wrote:
I made sure the water level in the barrel was well
above the water intake.

Make sure it's higher than the impeller. There's no mark on the
outside of your lower unit indicating where it is, you'll just have to
estimate. But some impellers won't suck up water if they're above
water level.
Second thing, remove the thermostat. It might be stuck closed.

I don't believe in coincidence. The thermostat wouldn't stick closed
at the exact time you dropped it over the side.

won't hurt to run the engine without it. If that's the problem, you
can replace it later.

Casady

I took the powerhead off the Merc 3.3hp engine tonight and followed
the entire cooling system throughout, checking for any blockages.
There was none. I also discovered there is no thermostat on the 3.3
hp. I didn't think there was, but I'm a rookie with engine repair so I
wasn't sure.
When I opened up the powerhead I found plenty of fresh water still
not dried out. Indicating to me that the powerhead was getting cooling
water but for some reason it just wasn't coming out the water pump
indicator hole. Which I did clear out with wire when I was trying to
run the engine in my back yard. Everyones suggestions on these posting
I did check out. Still nothing. This is the damnedest thing.

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote:
[...]

Well, if there isn't any water coming out the bleed hole then
something is wrong. The only solution is to start from the bottom and
work up.

I have had this symptom and went through all the hassles of reaming
out holes and so on. In my case when I finally pulled the leg I found
that several fingers were broken off the water pump impeller. I was
also able, once, to install the impeller without the key (doesn't work
either). I sympathize with you but the engine is so simple that it
should be easy to locate.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

wrote:
[...]

I have a Honda 8 HP. There is a hose from the engine to the
"P" hole at the back of the cover. With out that hose the water
would run down the front of the shaft, but you wouldn't see it.
Maybe there is water flowing through your motor but its not
coming out where you expect.

LdB

wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:19:08 -0500, wrote:
I made sure the water level in the barrel was well
above the water intake.
Make sure it's higher than the impeller. There's no mark on the
outside of your lower unit indicating where it is, you'll just have to
estimate. But some impellers won't suck up water if they're above

quite a lot snipped

[...]

On the 3 HP there is a fitting on the side of the block and a plastic
hose connects to that and exits at the rear of the plastic engine
housing.

I hope the guy was doing his trouble shooting with the covers off.

wrote:
[...]

The English language is fascinating. Imagine all the different uses
of term "Oops".

Then try to remember all the different ways you've used it.

LdB

posted to rec.boats.building

Whenever I put a thermostat in, I always boil it on the stove to make sure
it opens. If it opens before the water boils, I can assume it's good. I
actually blew up a pickup truck once with a brand spanking new, and bad,
thermostat.

But, the main reason I posted... I have a question.

Instead of putting the motor in a barrel, could you put a set of 'ears' on
it? Would that show you if you have a blockage or not? If you put the ears
on and turn on the hose and water comes out the pee hole, will that tell you
the impeller is not working?

More of a question than an answer, I'm afraid.

Ron

posted to rec.boats.building

If you put on the muffs and turn on the hose and see water coming out of
the
peehole with the engine not running, then there is no impeller in the
waterpump!

Oof! Well, I guess it's a good thing I asked.

Ron