Heather Wilson

Default Honda 5hp (BF5/BF5A) Outboard Cooling Question

Hi,

We have the above identified outboard (1988 long shaft) on our 21'
trailer sailor. Bought 2 years ago from a from a fresh water sailor
(lake Ontario), and we sail on the Chesapeake (brackish). We flush
the motor after a sail about 50% of the time.

We replaced the impeller (disintegrated) last year, and the thermostat
this year. Did not note any obstructions in the observable coolant
passages.

The motor starts on the first pull, and seems to run fine. The
problem is that the cooling water indicator port (on the frame) only
streams water at ~1000rpm and above; below which it just steams.
During a stress test, we found the engine stalled after about 10
minutes of idling (& steaming).

Should the indicator port stream water at all rpms? Does the steam
indicate a cooling system problem?

Any guidance from someone with similar experience would be much
appreciated!

Thanks.
Rod McInnis

"Heather Wilson" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Should the indicator port stream water at all rpms? Does the steam
indicate a cooling system problem?

It has on any outboard I have ever owned.

It sounds to me like you still have a problem with the impeller. You don't
run the motor dry, do you? That will destroy the impeller really fast. The
symptom that you describe would indicate a partially destroyed impeller,
which would be unusual if it was always operated wet but could easily happen
if you ran the motor dry while flushing it.

Rod McInnis

Matt Colie

Heather,

You still have a water pump problem. Both of my Hondas stream at all
speeds (except when the old one had trashed an impellor). The fact that
you it streams above idle, but not at idle is a faithful indication of a
water pump problem.

Steam out of that port (or anywhere actually) is a bad sign.

If it stalled after a long time hot, it may well have been done some
damage. If the paint burned off anyplace - it is most likely damaged.

As another stated, if you -ever- ran the engine out of the water, the
pump is fried. The pump housing may also be damaged. At least you
better get the lower unit off and check the pump again.

Good Luck

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1 -now with a BF9.9 XLAS
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor