posted to rec.boats.building

Default lining water tanks

I have steel water tanks on my boat (www.jassira.com) that are still solid
but the insides are a bit mucky and rusty. My plan is to line the inside
with glass fiber. . I have woven cloth, polyester resin, gel coat and a
waxing agent that when mixed to the gel coat allows it to air dry. I had
thought of using epoxy resin, which I understand is more water resistant,
but when I went to buy some, it was suggested that epoxy might leach nasty
things into the water..... I only want to do the job once so what resin
should I be using...
Thanks for your help

Nigel wrote:
I have steel water tanks on my boat (www.jassira.com) that are still
solid but the insides are a bit mucky and rusty. My plan is to line the
inside with glass fiber. . I have woven cloth, polyester resin, gel coat
and a waxing agent that when mixed to the gel coat allows it to air
dry. I had thought of using epoxy resin, which I understand is more
water resistant, but when I went to buy some, it was suggested that
epoxy might leach nasty things into the water..... I only want to do
the job once so what resin should I be using...
Thanks for your help

I would seriously suggest you take a look at the PermaFlex and LRB coating
system sold he

http://www.sanitred.com/WaterTank.htm

Brian C

Nigel wrote:
I have steel water tanks on my boat (www.jassira.com) that are still
solid but the insides are a bit mucky and rusty. My plan is to line the
inside with glass fiber. . I have woven cloth, polyester resin, gel coat
and a waxing agent that when mixed to the gel coat allows it to air
dry. I had thought of using epoxy resin, which I understand is more
water resistant, but when I went to buy some, it was suggested that
epoxy might leach nasty things into the water..... I only want to do
the job once so what resin should I be using...
Thanks for your help

Potable water approved epoxies (NSF 61 approvals) are common in
water treatment facilities. Most, if not all, NSF 61 approvals are
only for tanks greater than 1000 gallons (easier to pass and
from vendors point of view, gets rid of the small jobs). That
said, many folks will use them on tanks less than 1000 gallons for
personal use.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers, inc
www.epoxyproducts.com

lining water tanks Nigel[_3_] Boat Building 4 February 16th 08 06:00 AM
Fuel and water tanks hprofit2518 Boat Building 6 June 6th 04 06:40 PM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 01:07 PM
Flexible water tanks? Go Fig General 3 August 6th 03 06:45 PM
water and diesel tanks m.wijsman Boat Building 1 July 27th 03 03:24 PM