posted to rec.boats.building

Default lining water tanks

I have steel water tanks on my boat (www.jassira.com) that are still solid
but the insides are a bit mucky and rusty. My plan is to line the inside
with glass fiber. . I have woven cloth, polyester resin, gel coat and a
waxing agent that when mixed to the gel coat allows it to air dry. I had
thought of using epoxy resin, which I understand is more water resistant,
but when I went to buy some, it was suggested that epoxy might leach nasty
things into the water..... I only want to do the job once so what resin
should I be using...
Thanks for your help

posted to rec.boats.building

Don't use FG or resin. It won't work. Ships use steel water tanks almost
exclusively. The tanks are plastered with cement. It lasts for years and it
keeps the water sweet.
Steve

"Nigel" wrote in message
I have steel water tanks on my boat (www.jassira.com) that are still solid
but the insides are a bit mucky and rusty. My plan is to line the inside
with glass fiber. . I have woven cloth, polyester resin, gel coat and a
waxing agent that when mixed to the gel coat allows it to air dry. I had
thought of using epoxy resin, which I understand is more water resistant,
but when I went to buy some, it was suggested that epoxy might leach nasty
things into the water..... I only want to do the job once so what resin
should I be using...
Thanks for your help

You could do that with poly resin but the issue is what happens if water
gets between the glass and steel. The steel will rust away. I sometimes
make water tanks out of calcium silicate board (cement board) coated with
grp. But in a boat, there would be mildew problems with that too. Maybe
you might try thoroughly cleaning and derusting the tanks before painting it
with a cementitious waterproofing compound. Essentially, it is cement and
latex. Very waterproof and it sticks like hell to almost everything
including metals. Available from builders shops and quite cheap.

Arnold

posted to rec.boats.building

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:56:34 +0800, "Ystay"
wrote:

Maybe
you might try thoroughly cleaning and derusting the tanks before painting it
with a cementitious waterproofing compound. Essentially, it is cement and
latex. Very waterproof and it sticks like hell to almost everything
including metals. Available from builders shops and quite cheap.

You refer to Portland cement, I presume?

Casady
posted to rec.boats.building

You refer to Portland cement, I presume?

Casady

Yes, OPC (ordinary portland cement) based but there are some other additives
to make it "rubberier". Probably has some very fine sand or silica as well.

Arnold

Hot water tanks - Review? GBM Cruising 5 May 23rd 06 02:37 AM
Fuel and water tanks hprofit2518 Boat Building 6 June 6th 04 06:40 PM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 01:07 PM
Flexible water tanks? Go Fig General 3 August 6th 03 06:45 PM
water and diesel tanks m.wijsman Boat Building 1 July 27th 03 03:24 PM