BoatBanter.com

-   -   lining water tanks (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/90791-lining-water-tanks.html)

Nigel[_3_] February 11th 08 07:35 PM

lining water tanks

I have steel water tanks on my boat (www.jassira.com) that are still solid
but the insides are a bit mucky and rusty. My plan is to line the inside
with glass fiber. . I have woven cloth, polyester resin, gel coat and a
waxing agent that when mixed to the gel coat allows it to air dry. I had
thought of using epoxy resin, which I understand is more water resistant,
but when I went to buy some, it was suggested that epoxy might leach nasty
things into the water..... I only want to do the job once so what resin
should I be using...
Thanks for your help

Steve Lusardi February 11th 08 08:08 PM

lining water tanks

Don't use FG or resin. It won't work. Ships use steel water tanks almost
exclusively. The tanks are plastered with cement. It lasts for years and it
keeps the water sweet.
Steve

YSTay February 12th 08 01:56 AM

lining water tanks

"Nigel" wrote in message
I have steel water tanks on my boat (www.jassira.com) that are still solid
but the insides are a bit mucky and rusty. My plan is to line the inside
with glass fiber. . I have woven cloth, polyester resin, gel coat and a
waxing agent that when mixed to the gel coat allows it to air dry. I had
thought of using epoxy resin, which I understand is more water resistant,
but when I went to buy some, it was suggested that epoxy might leach nasty
things into the water..... I only want to do the job once so what resin
should I be using...
Thanks for your help

You could do that with poly resin but the issue is what happens if water
gets between the glass and steel. The steel will rust away. I sometimes
make water tanks out of calcium silicate board (cement board) coated with
grp. But in a boat, there would be mildew problems with that too. Maybe
you might try thoroughly cleaning and derusting the tanks before painting it
with a cementitious waterproofing compound. Essentially, it is cement and
latex. Very waterproof and it sticks like hell to almost everything
including metals. Available from builders shops and quite cheap.

Arnold

Richard Casady February 15th 08 03:30 PM

lining water tanks

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:56:34 +0800, "Ystay"
wrote:

Maybe
you might try thoroughly cleaning and derusting the tanks before painting it
with a cementitious waterproofing compound. Essentially, it is cement and
latex. Very waterproof and it sticks like hell to almost everything
including metals. Available from builders shops and quite cheap.

You refer to Portland cement, I presume?

Casady

YSTay February 16th 08 06:00 AM

lining water tanks

You refer to Portland cement, I presume?

Casady

Yes, OPC (ordinary portland cement) based but there are some other additives
to make it "rubberier". Probably has some very fine sand or silica as well.

Arnold