posted to rec.boats.building
YSTay YSTay is offline

Default lining water tanks

"Nigel" wrote in message
I have steel water tanks on my boat (www.jassira.com) that are still solid
but the insides are a bit mucky and rusty. My plan is to line the inside
with glass fiber. . I have woven cloth, polyester resin, gel coat and a
waxing agent that when mixed to the gel coat allows it to air dry. I had
thought of using epoxy resin, which I understand is more water resistant,
but when I went to buy some, it was suggested that epoxy might leach nasty
things into the water..... I only want to do the job once so what resin
should I be using...
Thanks for your help

You could do that with poly resin but the issue is what happens if water
gets between the glass and steel. The steel will rust away. I sometimes
make water tanks out of calcium silicate board (cement board) coated with
grp. But in a boat, there would be mildew problems with that too. Maybe
you might try thoroughly cleaning and derusting the tanks before painting it
with a cementitious waterproofing compound. Essentially, it is cement and
latex. Very waterproof and it sticks like hell to almost everything
including metals. Available from builders shops and quite cheap.

Arnold