posted to rec.boats.building

Default Bio-diesel additive

I just saw in the news today that my state is in the process or
requireing all diesel fuel sold to contain 2% bio-diesel. Then push
the limit to 5% in a set time period.
My first thought was "Hold On". That might make sense to help with
our foreign dependance on oil. But I don't like the idea of having
this additive in my boats diesel fuel.
Doesn't anyone know for certain the effects these bio-diesels may
have on our marine diesel? Am I worring for nothing?

Frank

posted to rec.boats.building

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:12:55 -0800, Frank
wrote:

Doesn't anyone know for certain the effects these bio-diesels may
have on our marine diesel? Am I worring for nothing?

Frank

Bio-diesel offers improved lubricity.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Frank wrote:
I just saw in the news today that my state is in the process or
requireing all diesel fuel sold to contain 2% bio-diesel. Then push
the limit to 5% in a set time period.
My first thought was "Hold On". That might make sense to help with
our foreign dependance on oil. But I don't like the idea of having
this additive in my boats diesel fuel.
Doesn't anyone know for certain the effects these bio-diesels may
have on our marine diesel? Am I worring for nothing?

Frank

From a non marine perspective, I can say that after several years of
using B-10, there is no issue with biodiesel blends. Heavy equipment,
automotive use, and truck use have left no issues to deal with.

High percentages (in excess of 50%)will cause corrosion is some steel
lines and destroy rubber hoses and gaskets.

But 5% should cause no issues.

--
“TANSTAAFL”

America: Ironically, the safest place to be anti-American.
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Jim is offline

dazed and confuzzed wrote:
Frank wrote:

I just saw in the news today that my state is in the process or
requireing all diesel fuel sold to contain 2% bio-diesel. Then push
the limit to 5% in a set time period.
My first thought was "Hold On". That might make sense to help with
our foreign dependance on oil. But I don't like the idea of having
this additive in my boats diesel fuel.
Doesn't anyone know for certain the effects these bio-diesels may
have on our marine diesel? Am I worring for nothing?

Frank

From a non marine perspective, I can say that after several years of
using B-10, there is no issue with biodiesel blends. Heavy equipment,
automotive use, and truck use have left no issues to deal with.

High percentages (in excess of 50%)will cause corrosion is some steel
lines and destroy rubber hoses and gaskets.

But 5% should cause no issues.

Everything I have read says there are a lot of reasons to use it and no
valid reasons not to.
posted to rec.boats.building
CS CS is offline

I have a Daewoo L136 engine which was recently certified, following
dyno trials, to run on both pure biofuel - veg oil - and bio diesel by
the Dutch Maritime and Coastguard Agency. Engines are to be fitted
into a dutch trawler.

posted to rec.boats.building

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 19:50:27 -0600, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

Bio-diesel offers improved lubricity.

No real surprise, they still use castor oil for lube, because it is
better in some ways [and not because it's cheap: it's not]

Casady

On Nov 6, 4:12 pm, Frank wrote:
I just saw in the news today that my state is in the process or
requireing all diesel fuel sold to contain 2% bio-diesel. Then push
the limit to 5% in a set time period.
My first thought was "Hold On". That might make sense to help with
our foreign dependance on oil. But I don't like the idea of having
this additive in my boats diesel fuel.
Doesn't anyone know for certain the effects these bio-diesels may
have on our marine diesel? Am I worring for nothing?

Frank

Diesel engines are designed originally to run on veggie oil that has
been refined. Bio-diesel isn't much different.
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 20:01:33 -0800 (PST), Bill
wrote:

On Nov 6, 4:12 pm, Frank wrote:
I just saw in the news today that my state is in the process or
requireing all diesel fuel sold to contain 2% bio-diesel. Then push
the limit to 5% in a set time period.
My first thought was "Hold On". That might make sense to help with
our foreign dependance on oil. But I don't like the idea of having
this additive in my boats diesel fuel.
Doesn't anyone know for certain the effects these bio-diesels may
have on our marine diesel? Am I worring for nothing?

Frank

Diesel engines are designed originally to run on veggie oil that has
been refined. Bio-diesel isn't much different.

The original Rudolf Diesel design was planned to use powdered coal.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

On Dec 11, 6:10 am, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

The original Rudolf Diesel design was planned to use powdered coal.

But, it wouldn't work. So, he turned to peanut oil, which ran like an
otto.

Sorry for the pun, but isn't "automobile" a play on the Otto
combustion cycle?

Could nano powdered coal be made to work in a Diesel? Effectively?
Efficiently?

Terry K