posted to rec.boats.building
Robert or Karen Swarts

Default Motor power/thrust additive?

If I use two 30 lb thrust motors, is that equivalent to one 60 lb thrust
motor?

Do two 9 hp motors equal one 18 hp motor?

In terms of boat performance, not necessarily theoretically.

Thanks,
Bob Swarts

posted to rec.boats.building
Matt Colie

Bob,

The answer is - Yes - to both

Somehow I am certain that you didn't ask the entire question, but I can
only guess.

If you are asking will the boat go twice as fast - No - again to both

This then comes into hull dynamics that will take much more information
effectively answer.

Matt Colie

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:
If I use two 30 lb thrust motors, is that equivalent to one 60 lb thrust
motor?

Do two 9 hp motors equal one 18 hp motor?

In terms of boat performance, not necessarily theoretically.

Thanks,
Bob Swarts

posted to rec.boats.building
Robert or Karen Swarts

I am wondering whether it is advantageous or not in terms of boat
performance to use two motors instead of one if the total thrust or
horsepower of the two equals that of the one. I realize that hull, weight,
wind, current, etc will influence over all performance, but my question
assumes those factors are equal. That is, will the boat go equally as fast,
slower, or faster with two motors whose total power equals that of one? I
thought I read somewhere that distributing the thrust over a larger area
somehow makes it more effective.

I know that's how the yield of nuclear bombs works :-)

BS

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
Bob,

The answer is - Yes - to both

Somehow I am certain that you didn't ask the entire question, but I can
only guess.

If you are asking will the boat go twice as fast - No - again to both

This then comes into hull dynamics that will take much more information
effectively answer.

Matt Colie

Robert or Karen Swarts wrote:
If I use two 30 lb thrust motors, is that equivalent to one 60 lb thrust
motor?

Do two 9 hp motors equal one 18 hp motor?

In terms of boat performance, not necessarily theoretically.

Thanks,
Bob Swarts

posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse

In practical terms, a large single propeller is more efficient at
providing thrust than 2 smaller ones, given the same amount of HP.

In terms of thrust, no there is no difference.

Evan Gatehouse