BoatBanter.com

-   -   Motor power/thrust additive? (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/68946-motor-power-thrust-additive.html)

Robert or Karen Swarts April 21st 06 09:09 PM

Motor power/thrust additive?

If I use two 30 lb thrust motors, is that equivalent to one 60 lb thrust
motor?

Do two 9 hp motors equal one 18 hp motor?

In terms of boat performance, not necessarily theoretically.

Thanks,
Bob Swarts

Matt Colie April 22nd 06 12:17 AM

Motor power/thrust additive?

Bob,

The answer is - Yes - to both

Somehow I am certain that you didn't ask the entire question, but I can
only guess.

If you are asking will the boat go twice as fast - No - again to both

This then comes into hull dynamics that will take much more information
effectively answer.

Matt Colie

Robert or Karen Swarts April 22nd 06 12:35 AM

Motor power/thrust additive?

I am wondering whether it is advantageous or not in terms of boat
performance to use two motors instead of one if the total thrust or
horsepower of the two equals that of the one. I realize that hull, weight,
wind, current, etc will influence over all performance, but my question
assumes those factors are equal. That is, will the boat go equally as fast,
slower, or faster with two motors whose total power equals that of one? I
thought I read somewhere that distributing the thrust over a larger area
somehow makes it more effective.

I know that's how the yield of nuclear bombs works :-)

BS

Evan Gatehouse April 22nd 06 06:20 AM

Motor power/thrust additive?

In practical terms, a large single propeller is more efficient at
providing thrust than 2 smaller ones, given the same amount of HP.

In terms of thrust, no there is no difference.

Evan Gatehouse