Lloyd Sumpter

Default Additive for New Live for Old Outboard?

Hi,
My 1989 15hp Johnson Seahorse is getting a bit hard to start. There's not
much too these old 2-strokes, and I don't want to spend a lot on it, so I figure
new plugs, and hopefully some way to clean the carb. Is there an additive I can
use to clean up the carb a bit?

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12 - goin' fishin' tomorrow!

Don White

Lloyd Sumpter wrote in message
Hi,
My 1989 15hp Johnson Seahorse is getting a bit hard to start. There's

not
much too these old 2-strokes, and I don't want to spend a lot on it, so I

figure
new plugs, and hopefully some way to clean the carb. Is there an additive

I can
use to clean up the carb a bit?

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12 - goin' fishin' tomorrow!

I'm surprised British Columbia doesn't force you to upgrade to a 4 stroke.
I imagine it'll be you or Ontario first followed by the rest of the country.

Duncan D. Sterling

Doug Kanter wrote:
: A buddy of mine swears by Chevron Techron. Even though it's sold as fuel
: injector cleaner, he's used it on a couple of antique carbureted motors,
: with good results.

One thing to look out for though--make sure that it doesn't say
"not for use in two stroke engines" or something similar in the
fine print.

BTW, OMC and others make two-stroke specific fuel system cleaners
and additives...

--Duncan

Doug Kanter

"Duncan D. Sterling" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
: A buddy of mine swears by Chevron Techron. Even though it's sold as fuel
: injector cleaner, he's used it on a couple of antique carbureted motors,
: with good results.

One thing to look out for though--make sure that it doesn't say
"not for use in two stroke engines" or something similar in the
fine print.

BTW, OMC and others make two-stroke specific fuel system cleaners
and additives...

Re your first comment: Not sure. There's a bottle in the back of my truck,
but I never read the instructions. My mechanic (a god among mechanics) told
me to use the stuff after every second oil change, so I just do it.

Re second comment: That would require the user to call an outboard dealer
and speak to someone, instead of asking people like us who are guessing or
passing along anecdotes. Why would someone want to risk getting accurate
information from someone who knows what they're talking about? :-)

Lloyd Sumpter

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

You underestimate yourself (or overestimate "dealers"). What makes you think
they "know what they're talking about" any more than you all do?

In my experience, dealers are salesmen: their purpose in life is to sell things.
So why should he give me free advice, when he could convince me to bring the
motor in for a $1000 overhaul (when it's worth $500)? Or better yet, sell me a
brand-new $2500 motor!

I'd had more problems with dealers screwing up my boats than anything else. So
if you don't mind, I'll continue to ask advice from people I trust.

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12 - going out today!

Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Lloyd, don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to "dis" you. I'm posting
questions in a photography NG about negative scanners. Meanwhile, here in
Rochester, there's an amazing photography store where two personal friends
work. So, I'm not immune.

My comment is based on MY experience with my boat dealer and his service
dept, which has been extraordinary - a complete anomaly compared to some of
the horror stories I've read here. Perhaps it's because he's located on a
lake, rather than the ocean, which might mean that a high percentage of his
customers are locals whose negative word of mouth would put him out of
business overnight if he didn't treat people right.

Last summer, the threads stripped on the plastic oil filler cap on my
Johnson outboard while I was on vacation. Couldn't get it back in. I called
the dealer to see if he could overnight me one. He told me the oil wasn't
under pressure, so it was silly to spend $25 for shipping for a $5.00 part.
Heavy duty aluminum foil and duct tape was the solution. He was right. There
was no oil on the foil when I removed it. He saved my vacation, which
involves fishing, fishing and fishing. The dealer's repeated this
performance several times over the years.

(Seagar Marine, in Canandaigua NY, if anyone from around here is reading
this message).

Wwj2110

I use Gumout & a little drygas every year with my first tank of gas. Works
well for me.
John H

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

So how much did he charge for shipping the foil and duct tape? Why
don't you tell the "rest of the story?"

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John H

wrote:

Lloyd, don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to "dis" you. I'm posting
questions in a photography NG about negative scanners. Meanwhile, here in
Rochester, there's an amazing photography store where two personal friends
work. So, I'm not immune.

PS. Here's some scanner reviews:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_....html#scanners

I ordered a Nikon D70 yesterday. Can't wait for it to get here!