Doug Kanter

Default Additive for New Live for Old Outboard?

"Duncan D. Sterling" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
: A buddy of mine swears by Chevron Techron. Even though it's sold as fuel
: injector cleaner, he's used it on a couple of antique carbureted motors,
: with good results.

One thing to look out for though--make sure that it doesn't say
"not for use in two stroke engines" or something similar in the
fine print.

BTW, OMC and others make two-stroke specific fuel system cleaners
and additives...

Re your first comment: Not sure. There's a bottle in the back of my truck,
but I never read the instructions. My mechanic (a god among mechanics) told
me to use the stuff after every second oil change, so I just do it.

Re second comment: That would require the user to call an outboard dealer
and speak to someone, instead of asking people like us who are guessing or
passing along anecdotes. Why would someone want to risk getting accurate
information from someone who knows what they're talking about? :-)