Lloyd Sumpter

Default Additive for New Live for Old Outboard?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:22:35 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

"Duncan D. Sterling" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
: A buddy of mine swears by Chevron Techron. Even though it's sold as fuel
: injector cleaner, he's used it on a couple of antique carbureted motors,
: with good results.

One thing to look out for though--make sure that it doesn't say "not for use
in two stroke engines" or something similar in the fine print.

BTW, OMC and others make two-stroke specific fuel system cleaners and
additives...

Re your first comment: Not sure. There's a bottle in the back of my truck, but I
never read the instructions. My mechanic (a god among mechanics) told me to use
the stuff after every second oil change, so I just do it.

Re second comment: That would require the user to call an outboard dealer and
speak to someone, instead of asking people like us who are guessing or passing
along anecdotes. Why would someone want to risk getting accurate information
from someone who knows what they're talking about? :-)

You underestimate yourself (or overestimate "dealers"). What makes you think
they "know what they're talking about" any more than you all do?

In my experience, dealers are salesmen: their purpose in life is to sell things.
So why should he give me free advice, when he could convince me to bring the
motor in for a $1000 overhaul (when it's worth $500)? Or better yet, sell me a
brand-new $2500 motor!

I'd had more problems with dealers screwing up my boats than anything else. So
if you don't mind, I'll continue to ask advice from people I trust.

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12 - going out today!