posted to rec.boats.building

Default Sunfish Repairs

I bought a complete Sunfish, fairly old one, and am looking for a book or
website that can help me upgrade the beast. I know that there has been a
lot of Sunfish renewal going on--can someone point me in the direction of
the collected wisdom on this topic?

Thanks.

On Aug 27, 11:23 am, "Crandall" crandall at K U dot E D U wrote:
I bought a complete Sunfish, fairly old one, and am looking for a book or
website that can help me upgrade the beast. I know that there has been a
lot of Sunfish renewal going on--can someone point me in the direction of
the collected wisdom on this topic?

Thanks.

ask and you shall get answer to specific questions. books won't help

posted to rec.boats.building

"roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 27, 11:23 am, "Crandall" crandall at K U dot E D U wrote:
I bought a complete Sunfish, fairly old one, and am looking for a book or
website that can help me upgrade the beast. I know that there has been a
lot of Sunfish renewal going on--can someone point me in the direction of
the collected wisdom on this topic?

ask and you shall get answer to specific questions. books won't help

I'm reasonably experienced in boat building and repair. I'm not worried
about the specifics of any given task. What I'm looking for is a website,
manual, or yes, even a book, that is specific to the Sunfish. For example,
what about replacing or repairing the flotation in the forward chamber of
the boat? Or, when opening the hull, do people prefer to drill out the
rivets, or something else? What kind of backing plates are in place on the
Sunfish? Is there a typical repair that any new owner should set out to do?
What are the options for updating the kick-up rudder? Are there options for
"upgrading" the shape of the daggerboard foil?

But mostly, I am interested in finding some location that will tell me about
problems that I don't know enough about yet to ask--what are the main
weaknesses or typical repair jobs on the Sunfish? There are many, small and
boring questions I could ask. But the most troubling issue for me is the
questions I don't know to ask. But surely, someone out there knows where to
go to find out answers to the questions I don't know to ask. (I hope.)

-Chris

posted to rec.boats.building
Dan Dan is offline

Crandall wrote:
I bought a complete Sunfish, fairly old one, and am looking for a book or
website that can help me upgrade the beast. I know that there has been a
lot of Sunfish renewal going on--can someone point me in the direction of
the collected wisdom on this topic?

Thanks.

You can look over at Yahoo Groups. They have a group dedicated to the
Sunfish. It appears to have 1959 members. Might be the resource your
looking for.
Dan
http://groups.yahoo.com