posted to rec.boats.building

Default Barrier coat

Getting ready to epoxy barrier coat but what do I do with the bare
lead keel? Fair it and epoxy? Will epoxy even adhere to it? Will this
cause a problem using the lead keel as a ground plane for the ssb?
Gordon

"Gordon" wrote in message
Getting ready to epoxy barrier coat but what do I do with the bare
lead keel? Fair it and epoxy? Will epoxy even adhere to it? Will this
cause a problem using the lead keel as a ground plane for the ssb?
Gordon

Me thinks the the mfg's documentation could tell you whether it sticks to
lead, but I suspect it will. This is a pure mechanical bond so if you
provide the grip by sanding it the lead, the pox will stick.

It will not cause a problem for you SSB. The epoxy will isolate the keel
from water for DC but for RF it will be just one large capacitor with a very
low impedance (read; resistance for RF).

Meindert

On Jun 17, 12:42 pm, Gordon wrote:
Getting ready to epoxy barrier coat but what do I do with the bare
lead keel? Fair it and epoxy? Will epoxy even adhere to it? Will this
cause a problem using the lead keel as a ground plane for the ssb?
Gordon

Fair it up with epoxy based fairing compound. You can make your own.
Epoxy will stick just fine if you prep it correctly