posted to rec.boats.building

Default Need Name Of (Shackle?)

I think that's called a 'scissor hook'
I would not consider it reliable."(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
message ...
I'm trying to buy a few more of these things.

I guess it's some sort of shackle... but don't have a clue beyond
that.

Can anybody put a name on it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/488580505/

or

http://tinyurl.com/229vlr
--
PeteCresswell

posted to rec.boats.building

Per Jim Conlin:
I think that's called a 'scissor hook'
I would not consider it reliable.

Howcome?

Seems like with snap shackles the bail can get squinched over and
the whole thing can turn into just a hook.

The attraction of this thing for me is that once it's attached to
a steel ring and put under load, the scissoring of the
overlapping hooks seems to guarantee that it won't work loose.

All theory of course....
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.building

Per Jim Conlin:
I think that's called a 'scissor hook'

Bingo! "Scissor Hook" consistently returns good hits.

Thanks.
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.building

Per (PeteCresswell):
Bingo! "Scissor Hook" consistently returns good hits.

As does "Trigger Snap"... which seems more specific.
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.building

Two reasons.
If it's under load, it is held shut, but when shaken, i've seen 'em come undone.
They're not as strong. A scissor hook or a snaphook is not 'closed,' meaning that one side is supported by the other, so it can open if it deforms enough.
A pin shackle, a carabiner or a snapshackle may deform, but won't release untill the material breaks.

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message ...
Per Jim Conlin:
I think that's called a 'scissor hook'
I would not consider it reliable.

Howcome?

Seems like with snap shackles the bail can get squinched over and
the whole thing can turn into just a hook.

The attraction of this thing for me is that once it's attached to
a steel ring and put under load, the scissoring of the
overlapping hooks seems to guarantee that it won't work loose.

All theory of course....
--
PeteCresswell

posted to rec.boats.building

Definately a Trigger Hook. Depending on what you're using it for
though, search for inglefield clips; they may be better for what you
need.

barry

www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk
(also Royal Navy)

posted to rec.boats.building
Bob Bob is offline

I would call it a Widowmaker.

Im not sure why a person would use it on a boat when there are so many
other "safer' choices.
Bob

Anchor Chain Jeff ASA 32 February 27th 07 01:21 PM
halyard fixing system for 14' catamaran with jib? imagineero Cruising 14 October 15th 05 05:03 PM
To shackle or Quick Link? Martin Baxter ASA 42 June 22nd 04 01:25 AM
anchor shackle size Bill Mc General 3 July 29th 03 09:46 PM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM