posted to rec.boats.building

Default Need Name Of (Shackle?)

I'm trying to buy a few more of these things.

I guess it's some sort of shackle... but don't have a clue beyond
that.

Can anybody put a name on it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/488580505/

or

http://tinyurl.com/229vlr
--
PeteCresswell

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
:I'm trying to buy a few more of these things.

:I guess it's some sort of shackle... but don't have a clue beyond
:that.

:Can anybody put a name on it?

:http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/488580505/

:http://tinyurl.com/229vlr

A swivel snap hook.
posted to rec.boats.building

David Scheidt inscribed in red ink for all to know:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
:I'm trying to buy a few more of these things.

:I guess it's some sort of shackle... but don't have a clue beyond
:that.

:Can anybody put a name on it?

:http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/488580505/

:http://tinyurl.com/229vlr

A swivel snap hook.

Try a tack shop - one for horse/harness gear.

bob
posted to rec.boats.building

Per David Scheidt:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
:I'm trying to buy a few more of these things.

:I guess it's some sort of shackle... but don't have a clue beyond
:that.

:Can anybody put a name on it?

:http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/488580505/

:http://tinyurl.com/229vlr

A swivel snap hook.

Now *that* was quick.

Thanks Bob, thanks David.
--
PeteCresswell
posted to rec.boats.building

Per (PeteCresswell):
A swivel snap hook.

Now *that* was quick.

But it doesn't seem tb working Google-wise.

I get hundreds of hits on 'Swivel Snap Hook' but they're all a
single hook with some sort of bail to keep it from coming
un-hooked - whereas the essential feature of the one I'm looking
for is that there are two hooks that overlap when the thing is
attached to something.

viz:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/488669232/

Likewise "Snap Shackle" returns many, many hits - but none
relevant. The only superficially-similar one is a
trigger-release snap shackle which is sort of the opposite of
what I'm looking for in that it is designed to release quickly
and easily... whereas mine is inherently/intentionally difficult
to release

Only one I found so far is by a Chinese manufacturer who seems to
lump them in with "Snap Hooks": http://tinyurl.com/298jly as in
the large one on the upper right.
--
PeteCresswell

posted to rec.boats.building

Peter

Try
www.mcmaster.com (McMaster Carr)
enter number
3919T24

They call it a trigger snap.

Matt Colie

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
:Per (PeteCresswell):
:A swivel snap hook.
:
:Now *that* was quick.

:But it doesn't seem tb working Google-wise.

:I get hundreds of hits on 'Swivel Snap Hook' but they're all a
:single hook with some sort of bail to keep it from coming
:un-hooked - whereas the essential feature of the one I'm looking
:for is that there are two hooks that overlap when the thing is
:attached to something.

:viz:
:http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/488669232/

It's a scissor snap, then. With a swivel. A harness shop should have
them, as well as a large selection of other kinds of snaps.

posted to rec.boats.building

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I'm trying to buy a few more of these things.

I guess it's some sort of shackle... but don't have a clue beyond
that.

Can anybody put a name on it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48262653@N00/488580505/

or

http://tinyurl.com/229vlr

Sure looks like a "trigger safety shackle" used to connect an optimist
mainsheet to the boom. optistuff.com or www.apsltd.com should have them.

Jack

Anchor Chain Jeff ASA 32 February 27th 07 01:21 PM
halyard fixing system for 14' catamaran with jib? imagineero Cruising 14 October 15th 05 05:03 PM
To shackle or Quick Link? Martin Baxter ASA 42 June 22nd 04 01:25 AM
anchor shackle size Bill Mc General 3 July 29th 03 09:46 PM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM