posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Anchor Chain

* Milton Waddams wrote, On 2/23/2007 12:01 PM:
What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?
Should it just be left free? I am reluctant to run a large bolt
throught the last link because I don't want it ripping through the
deck. It would be nice to have something easy to disengage rather than
something real permanent. Any suggestions? As always, thanks.

Of course the bitter end should be attached to the boat. Can you
imagine how stupid you would feel if the chain got free and ran out to
the bottom?

However, ignore the amateurs that advise shackling the chain to the
boat. It should be attached with a length of line, strong enough to
hold the boat, accessible enough to cut with a knife if need be.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Milton Waddams wrote, On 2/23/2007 12:01 PM:
What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?
Should it just be left free? I am reluctant to run a large bolt
throught the last link because I don't want it ripping through the
deck. It would be nice to have something easy to disengage rather than
something real permanent. Any suggestions? As always, thanks.

Of course the bitter end should be attached to the boat. Can you imagine
how stupid you would feel if the chain got free and ran out to the bottom?

However, ignore the amateurs that advise shackling the chain to the boat.
It should be attached with a length of line, strong enough to hold the
boat, accessible enough to cut with a knife if need be.

What about boats that have all chain rodes? Are you proposing adding line to
the end of an all chain rode?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:24:05 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Milton Waddams wrote, On 2/23/2007 12:01 PM:
What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?
Should it just be left free? I am reluctant to run a large bolt
throught the last link because I don't want it ripping through the
deck. It would be nice to have something easy to disengage rather than
something real permanent. Any suggestions? As always, thanks.

Of course the bitter end should be attached to the boat. Can you imagine
how stupid you would feel if the chain got free and ran out to the bottom?

However, ignore the amateurs that advise shackling the chain to the boat.
It should be attached with a length of line, strong enough to hold the
boat, accessible enough to cut with a knife if need be.

What about boats that have all chain rodes? Are you proposing adding line to
the end of an all chain rode?

Yes... That is the correct way. Just enough to get the chain past the bow.
Mine is spliced to a shackle with a thimble on both ends. One to the boat and
one about 10' from the bitter end of the chain. Might have to cut it away
some day as Jeff says. Ever try to cut chain with a knife.
--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. JG wrote, On 2/23/2007 3:24 PM:
"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Milton Waddams wrote, On 2/23/2007 12:01 PM:
What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?
Should it just be left free? I am reluctant to run a large bolt
throught the last link because I don't want it ripping through the
deck. It would be nice to have something easy to disengage rather than
something real permanent. Any suggestions? As always, thanks.

Of course the bitter end should be attached to the boat. Can you imagine
how stupid you would feel if the chain got free and ran out to the bottom?

However, ignore the amateurs that advise shackling the chain to the boat.
It should be attached with a length of line, strong enough to hold the
boat, accessible enough to cut with a knife if need be.

What about boats that have all chain rodes? Are you proposing adding line to
the end of an all chain rode?

Of course. Why is that a problem? If you were concerned that you
could actually have all of the chain out in a gale and the boat was
being held by that piece of rope, then make it good nylon, which is
almost as strong as chain, for its size. This would provide some
shock absorbing when the boat snubbed up. You can even splice it onto
the chain such that it would run out a chain pipe.

However, it often would be sufficient to use smaller stuff. If the
chain locker is accessible you could use several turns of 3/8" line in
lieu of the shackle. The problem is that if you're dragging into
danger and want to jettison the ground tackle, you don't want to be
fumbling with a shackle that you went to great pains to make sure it
would never come loose!

I even keep a cheap serrated fillet knife stashed in the chain
locker, not because I expect this particular problem, but because its
a handy place to have a spare knife if I happen to be forward and need
one.

BTW, as it turns out I have mixed rodes, 50 feet of chain with 250
feet of nylon on the primary, 30 feet chain and 200 nylon on the
secondary. A third rode with chain is waiting in a locker, plus a
forth long nylon line.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Capt. JG wrote, On 2/23/2007 3:24 PM:
"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You should tell that to all the large charter companies... none of them do
this... at least the ones I've chartered with, although I don't see a
downside to it except the possibility of a connection failure, which could
be prevented with proper maintenance.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Capt. JG wrote, On 2/23/2007 4:28 PM:
[...]

Are you saying they don't bother to secure the rode at all? That
would seem weird, given the large number of inexperienced users. I
can believe that they decided to shackle securely, peening it to make
it impossible to remove. The charter companies have different priorities.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Milton Waddams wrote, On 2/23/2007 12:01 PM:
What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?
Should it just be left free? I am reluctant to run a large bolt
throught the last link because I don't want it ripping through the
deck. It would be nice to have something easy to disengage rather
than
something real permanent. Any suggestions? As always, thanks.

Of course the bitter end should be attached to the boat. Can you
imagine how stupid you would feel if the chain got free and ran out to
the bottom?

However, ignore the amateurs that advise shackling the chain to the
boat. It should be attached with a length of line, strong enough to
hold the boat, accessible enough to cut with a knife if need be.

And, never listen to Jeff. He's an imbecile! So you tie the bitter end
of your all-chain rode to a length of anchor line. Then you make fast
the end of the anchor line to your boat. This is so you can cut the line
in an emergency to free your ship from the anchor/rode. Ever hear of a
chain stopper, big boy? A chain stopper
allows the bitter end of the chain to remain free of tension. If you
wish to free yourself from the anchor/rode in an emergency you're much
safer unscrewing a stainless steel shackle inside the boat. You need not
even tighten the shackle more than finger tight. That way you don't even
need tools to unfasten it.

You can stand on the bow with your knife in a seven foot storm sea and
fifty knot wind trying to cut your anchor rode. Not me man! I'll do it
from inside where it's safe.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:24:05 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Absolutely, and for the reason Jeff mentioned.

CWM

You forgot the word "retarded". Jeff's reason is retarded. There is no
reason to have a rope tail to cut. If you have chain rode you have a
windlass. If you have a windlass you have a chain stopper. Either a
stopper built into the windlass or a stopper forward of it on deck. Or
preferably both. If you have the bitter end of the chain made fast below
in the chain locker with a stainless steel shackle made fast to a padeye
or eye bolt it is under no strain. If you should have to jettison the
rode/anchor for emergency reasons it is far better to do so from the
safety of the ships interior. Generally, should you have to part company
with your ground tackle it will be under severe wind and wave
conditions. It is generally not as safe on the bucking foredeck as it is
inside the vessel. You could even severely cut yourself with the knife.
You could even use a snap shackle in the chain locker if you thought a
stainless steel screw shackle might be tough to unfasten. Be sure to
buoy your rode before setting it free so you may retrieve it at a later
time. The buoy should have the name of your ship on it.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 2/23/2007 6:04 PM:

[...]

Its clear you learned all you know by reading old West Marine catalogs
you found while dumpster diving.

First, the is no guarantee you have a windlass, and a windlass does
not imply a chain stopper. And the chain stopper will not
automatically stop the chain from running out. And when the boat
snubs up on shackle it will probably deform it just enough to make it
impossible to unscrew by hand.

Further, this nonsense about having to cut the line while hanging off
the bow proves that you've never actually been on a boat. Obviously,
the line would attach to the same spot you're saying to use with a
shackle, so one could cut it from the same "safe location" that you
could remove the shackle. The difference, of course, is that with rope
you can cut where ever is convenient, with 100% certainly, and with
a shackle there's a fair chance you'll need time and tools to get it
undone.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

They shackle the end of the rode to the boat.. Sorry if my response was
confusing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com