posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Anchor Chain

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Capt. JG wrote, On 2/23/2007 3:24 PM:
"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Milton Waddams wrote, On 2/23/2007 12:01 PM:
What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?
Should it just be left free? I am reluctant to run a large bolt
throught the last link because I don't want it ripping through the
deck. It would be nice to have something easy to disengage rather than
something real permanent. Any suggestions? As always, thanks.
Of course the bitter end should be attached to the boat. Can you
imagine how stupid you would feel if the chain got free and ran out to
the bottom?

However, ignore the amateurs that advise shackling the chain to the
boat. It should be attached with a length of line, strong enough to hold
the boat, accessible enough to cut with a knife if need be.

What about boats that have all chain rodes? Are you proposing adding line
to the end of an all chain rode?

Of course. Why is that a problem? If you were concerned that you could
actually have all of the chain out in a gale and the boat was being held
by that piece of rope, then make it good nylon, which is almost as strong
as chain, for its size. This would provide some shock absorbing when the
boat snubbed up. You can even splice it onto the chain such that it would
run out a chain pipe.

However, it often would be sufficient to use smaller stuff. If the chain
locker is accessible you could use several turns of 3/8" line in lieu of
the shackle. The problem is that if you're dragging into danger and want
to jettison the ground tackle, you don't want to be fumbling with a
shackle that you went to great pains to make sure it would never come
loose!

I even keep a cheap serrated fillet knife stashed in the chain locker,
not because I expect this particular problem, but because its a handy
place to have a spare knife if I happen to be forward and need one.

BTW, as it turns out I have mixed rodes, 50 feet of chain with 250 feet of
nylon on the primary, 30 feet chain and 200 nylon on the secondary. A
third rode with chain is waiting in a locker, plus a forth long nylon
line.

You should tell that to all the large charter companies... none of them do
this... at least the ones I've chartered with, although I don't see a
downside to it except the possibility of a connection failure, which could
be prevented with proper maintenance.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com