posted to alt.sailing.asa
Mundo Mundo is offline

Default Anchor Chain

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:24:05 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Milton Waddams wrote, On 2/23/2007 12:01 PM:
What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?
Should it just be left free? I am reluctant to run a large bolt
throught the last link because I don't want it ripping through the
deck. It would be nice to have something easy to disengage rather than
something real permanent. Any suggestions? As always, thanks.

Of course the bitter end should be attached to the boat. Can you imagine
how stupid you would feel if the chain got free and ran out to the bottom?

However, ignore the amateurs that advise shackling the chain to the boat.
It should be attached with a length of line, strong enough to hold the
boat, accessible enough to cut with a knife if need be.

What about boats that have all chain rodes? Are you proposing adding line to
the end of an all chain rode?

Yes... That is the correct way. Just enough to get the chain past the bow.
Mine is spliced to a shackle with a thimble on both ends. One to the boat and
one about 10' from the bitter end of the chain. Might have to cut it away
some day as Jeff says. Ever try to cut chain with a knife.
--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass