posted to rec.boats.building

Default Please help my sink is clogged!!!

Hi, my name is Nicole and I could really use some help! My kitchen sink is
clogged (it's a double) (and I'm also not sure what is plugging it!). One
side is an open mouth with a garbage disposal, and the other has a built in
plug in it (that I do not think comes out) with just a couple holes in it.
Ok, so I tried plunging, plunging one side while holding the other closed,
using the garbage disposal untill that side is empty and then pouring baking
soda and vinegar , and boiling hot water in after!! Nothing is working!! I
am stuck in my home without a car! I don't have any type of draino or any
pipe cleaner!! Am I screwed ?? Is there anything I can do?? Like I said I
could really use some help!! Thank you so much for taking the time to hear
my problem!! Sincerly in need of some help, Nicole

madelynrae2002 wrote:
Hi, my name is Nicole and I could really use some help! My kitchen
sink is clogged (it's a double) (and I'm also not sure what is
plugging it!).

Before I can help you, I need to know: is your sink on a boat? If so,
is the boat a powerboat, houseboat or sailboat?

The next question doesn't have anything to do with how to solve your
problem, but is important nontheless: if we're talking about a boat, are
you in coastal waters or on an inland lake or river?

--
Peggie
----------

"madelynrae2002" u31821@uwe wrote in message news:6dea722ecff58@uwe...
[...]

I assume you are in a house, not aboard a boat.
If you are handy with tools, one (messy) option is to remove the sink trap
(the U-shaped piece of pipe in the drain line underneath your sink) and
clean out any clogs in the U or above or below it, perhaps using a piece of
coat hanger wire as a makeshift augur.
You'll have to bail any standing water out of the sink, but there will still
be plenty of it in the pipe, so put as large a pan as possible under the
trap before you remove it, and have a stack of towels nearby.
You will need a large-mouth wrench to remove the nuts that hold the U in
place. Be gentle. The pipe may be made of plastic, or of brass (perhaps
chrome-plated), and either can be broken or mangled with too much pressure.
Moderate force in the right direction (counter-clockwise) should loosen
them. Take careful note of the several parts (washers, etc.) you encounter,
so you can reassemble everything later. Back them off further and you should
be able to drop the trap.
If the blockage is far below the trap -- that is, between the trap and main
sewer line, beyond the reach of your makeshift wire coathanger
cleaner-outer -- you're going to need professional help, or at minimum a
trip to the hardware store for more gear.
If you find and clean out a blockage in or near the trap, you can then put
it back, carefully reusing the plastic washers. Tighten everything firmly,
but don't go Rambo on the pipes. Test it before you remove the catch pan
from under the U. If the sink drains and there are no leaks, have a
well-deserved beer.

Alex