posted to rec.boats.building

Default Removing silicone residue

Actually this is not on a boat, but same principles will apply.

I need to reglue--with epoxy I hope--something that appears to have been
glued with silicone. I recall reading of a solution that could be used to
wash the silicone residue that would otherwise prevent good adhesion. Maybe
powdered detergent and kerosene ? Sounds messy, but my memory might be in
left field.

Any ideas that work ?

Garland Gray II wrote:
Actually this is not on a boat, but same principles will apply.

I need to reglue--with epoxy I hope--something that appears to have been
glued with silicone. I recall reading of a solution that could be used to
wash the silicone residue that would otherwise prevent good adhesion. Maybe
powdered detergent and kerosene ? Sounds messy, but my memory might be in
left field.

Any ideas that work ?

IIRC, hexane will remove silicone residue.
posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks.
Hexane is not something I recognise in products I'm familiar of. Where might
it be obtained ?
A search shows it to be potentially nasty.

Garland Gray II wrote:

Thanks.
Hexane is not something I recognise in products I'm familiar of.

Where might
it be obtained ?
A search shows it to be potentially nasty.

It can be very nasty.

You probably will not be able to buy it at retail these days.

Just curious.

What are the two (2) parts that have the silicone on them?

What is the application?

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building

My wife handed me a piece of her jewelry -- a square of ceramic or the
like-- from which the glued on eye had become detached. The old glue and
feels like silicone.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...

Garland Gray II wrote:

My wife handed me a piece of her jewelry -- a square of ceramic or the
like-- from which the glued on eye had become detached. The old glue and
feels like silicone.

Well in this case, silicone is probably the correct adhesive. Assuming
the eye is metal, epoxy may well not survive the differential thermal
expansion & contraction between the metal and the ceramic. Hexane is
(or was a few years back, you never can be sure over here with the EU
and VOCs) one of the major constituants of Evostik adhesive remover.
Might be worth going to a store and looking at a can.

Remember even to get silicone to stick, its going to need to be
'waterbreak' clean. You also need a really strong clear electrical
grade silicone. Probably be able to get away with Servisol silicone
adhesive sealent, but you *might* need the Dow-Corning variety. You cant
get that stuff off clean glass even *with* a razor blade.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
posted to rec.boats.building

Hexane is also known as napatha, lighter fluid. Don't know how well it
would work to clean up silicone residue, but is great for oily and
greasy parts. The only thing I know for sure that will remove silicone
residue is a strong base, like ammonia or lye.

Ian Malcolm wrote:
Garland Gray II wrote:

[...]

If you're going to apply silicone over silicone, it should adhere
without problems, shouldn't it? It's when you try to use any other
adhesive that you get into trouble. IIRC, I've seen some information
about prepping and bonding with silicone adhesives on the Dow-Corning,
GE and 3M sites.
posted to rec.boats.building

Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:34:51 GMT, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

If you're going to apply silicone over silicone, it should adhere
without problems, shouldn't it? It's when you try to use any other
adhesive that you get into trouble. IIRC, I've seen some information
about prepping and bonding with silicone adhesives on the Dow-Corning,
GE and 3M sites.

Silicone will not bond to cured silicone. Not even slightly.

CWM

Which is one of the *many* reasons why I generally refer to it as
*SILLY* - *CON* sealant and would reject any work done on a boat with it
without my explicit permission as 'unfit for purpose' (I do give written
instuctions not to use it so its their own fault . . .)

Unless you *really* need its special properties (like in this
application, some sorts of electrical/electronic repair or sealing
Perspex), *DONT* use it.

For general use *ANYTHING* *ELSE* is preferable, even a mix of tar,
tallow, horsehair, litharge and portland cement powder.

Any of the Butyl, Polysulphide or Acrylic sealants are far nicer and
more reliable.

In addition it doesn't noticably degrade even after the seal has failed
and its peeling away and chunks of it cant be good food for all sorts of
marine life. :-(

Garland Gray II wrote:

My wife handed me a piece of her jewelry -- a square of ceramic or the
like-- from which the glued on eye had become detached. The old

glue and
feels like silicone.

There is a product called "Goof Off" which contains xylene, packaged
in a 4.5 OZ can, which you can buy at almost any hardware store.

"Goof Off" and judicious use of a tooth brush should get the surfaces
clean.

SFWIW, it has never failed me.

As others have commented, would not use epoxy for this application,
but rather a mastic type bedding compound as suggested by Ian.

Should be able to buy a small quantity in a "squeeze tube" type
package, again at a hardware store.

Lew

removing frozen ST. Stl. screws Chris Boat Building 6 April 21st 06 11:36 AM
Removing battery David General 0 July 31st 04 04:28 PM
Removing a powerboat steering wheel Brian Whatcott Boat Building 0 January 17th 04 06:13 PM
Silicone Removal John Helgerson Cruising 3 September 18th 03 03:30 AM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM