posted to rec.boats.building

Default Removing silicone residue

Thanks for all the responses.
This morning I asked around about hexane, but couldn't find anything
definitive, so I called 3M tech support, and they said to use "Brakeclean"
to remove the silicone film. I had some, so that is what I used. I then
bonded with some JB Weld, which also was on hand, and it's tighter than a
tick now.
Regarding possible failure from different coefficients of thermal expansion,
I don't think it will be subjected to enough temperature variation for this
to be a factor. I didn't say what sort of jewelry it is --a pendant on a
necklass .

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Actually this is not on a boat, but same principles will apply.

I need to reglue--with epoxy I hope--something that appears to have been
glued with silicone. I recall reading of a solution that could be used to
wash the silicone residue that would otherwise prevent good adhesion.
Maybe powdered detergent and kerosene ? Sounds messy, but my memory might
be in left field.

Any ideas that work ?

Garland Gray II wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.
This morning I asked around about hexane, but couldn't find anything
definitive, so I called 3M tech support, and they said to use "Brakeclean"
to remove the silicone film. I had some, so that is what I used. I then
bonded with some JB Weld, which also was on hand, and it's tighter than a
tick now.
Regarding possible failure from different coefficients of thermal expansion,
I don't think it will be subjected to enough temperature variation for this
to be a factor. I didn't say what sort of jewelry it is --a pendant on a
necklass .

Well, follow up in a month or so and tell us how its holding up.
Glad it worked out for you.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.

removing frozen ST. Stl. screws Chris Boat Building 6 April 21st 06 11:36 AM
Removing battery David General 0 July 31st 04 04:28 PM
Removing a powerboat steering wheel Brian Whatcott Boat Building 0 January 17th 04 06:13 PM
Silicone Removal John Helgerson Cruising 3 September 18th 03 03:30 AM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM