Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building
Red Red is offline

Default Grease for winches

I have a large tub of Valvoline X-All grease Part No. 563. I have been
trying to find out if it is similar to the grease normally sold for use
in sailboat winches. The write-up on the side of the tub states similar
properties (I.E:water repellent, salt corrosion resistant, adhesive and
cohesive - highly resistant to wiping & rubbing, withstands heavy shock
loads, etc. as well as having a similar texture and color) as does the
tubes of winch grease I've used before, and although makes no mention of
use in winches it does state it can be used for upper assemblies of
outboard motors. I have tried to find it in online searches with no
luck. Any of you grease experts out there know if it would be ok to use
for regular winch maintenance? Hate to let it go to waste.

Thanks,
Red