posted to rec.boats.building
Red Red is offline

Default Grease for winches

I have a large tub of Valvoline X-All grease Part No. 563. I have been
trying to find out if it is similar to the grease normally sold for use
in sailboat winches. The write-up on the side of the tub states similar
properties (I.E:water repellent, salt corrosion resistant, adhesive and
cohesive - highly resistant to wiping & rubbing, withstands heavy shock
loads, etc. as well as having a similar texture and color) as does the
tubes of winch grease I've used before, and although makes no mention of
use in winches it does state it can be used for upper assemblies of
outboard motors. I have tried to find it in online searches with no
luck. Any of you grease experts out there know if it would be ok to use
for regular winch maintenance? Hate to let it go to waste.

Thanks,
Red

posted to rec.boats.building

If it is similar to white grease, Lubriplate, you should be fine.

Dave W wrote:
If it is similar to white grease, Lubriplate, you should be fine.
|Dave

Thanks Dave, but I was looking to find a little more specific
information if possible about its compatibility. I don't know if it is
similar to Lubriplate because I can't find any info on its chemical
makeup to see if its a close enough match. Is Lubriplate a good choice
for winches also? Is it similar/same as the grease sold as brand-name
(Lewmar, Harken)winch grease, or is that something different?

Thanks,
Red

Red wrote:
Dave W wrote:
If it is similar to white grease, Lubriplate, you should be fine.
|Dave

Thanks Dave, but I was looking to find a little more specific
information if possible about its compatibility. I don't know if it is
similar to Lubriplate because I can't find any info on its chemical
makeup to see if its a close enough match. Is Lubriplate a good choice
for winches also? Is it similar/same as the grease sold as brand-name
(Lewmar, Harken)winch grease, or is that something different?

Thanks,
Red

The greases for winches are nothing special. Harken and Lewmar just
put their name on some white lithium grease and mark up the cost 300%...

Look at Harken's instructions for a typical winch. Just says
"grease". No particular type specified.

http://www.harken.com/pdf/44.2st_06.pdf

Lewmar wants you to use theirs:

19701100 GearGrease™
Packed in handy 300g plastic tub. This waterproof
grease contains solid activation which aids the load
carrying characteristics of a winch. It is also suitable
for trailer wheel bearings, steering gear, hydraulic
equipment, outboard engines and many other marine
applications.

If it's suitable for all these applications, I'd say you're looking at
a pretty generic type of grease.

In the US, manufacturer's can't specify that you use their consumables
like grease (no more than Ford says you must use Ford oil from a
dealership).

Evan Gatehouse
posted to rec.boats.building

I recollect that pawl springs on smaller winches should not be heavily
greased, but just oiled.

"Evan Gatehouse2" wrote in message
Red wrote:
Dave W wrote:
If it is similar to white grease, Lubriplate, you should be fine.
|Dave

Thanks Dave, but I was looking to find a little more specific
information if possible about its compatibility. I don't know if it is
similar to Lubriplate because I can't find any info on its chemical
makeup to see if its a close enough match. Is Lubriplate a good choice
for winches also? Is it similar/same as the grease sold as brand-name
(Lewmar, Harken)winch grease, or is that something different?

Thanks,
Red

The greases for winches are nothing special. Harken and Lewmar just
put their name on some white lithium grease and mark up the cost 300%...

Look at Harken's instructions for a typical winch. Just says
"grease". No particular type specified.

http://www.harken.com/pdf/44.2st_06.pdf

Lewmar wants you to use theirs:

19701100 GearGrease™
Packed in handy 300g plastic tub. This waterproof
grease contains solid activation which aids the load
carrying characteristics of a winch. It is also suitable
for trailer wheel bearings, steering gear, hydraulic
equipment, outboard engines and many other marine
applications.

If it's suitable for all these applications, I'd say you're looking at
a pretty generic type of grease.

In the US, manufacturer's can't specify that you use their consumables
like grease (no more than Ford says you must use Ford oil from a
dealership).

Evan Gatehouse

posted to rec.boats.building
Red Red is offline

Thanks Evan,
I was thinking just what you said, but wasn't sure if that was the
case. The tub of grease I have looks like the right stuff, and is enough
to use on about a hundred winches. Hate to let good stuff go to waste,
so I'm gonna use it.

Red

posted to rec.boats.building
CAH CAH is offline