Default Which Grease Should I Use For Trailer Bearing?

I am looking for info of which grease to use for bearings in a trailer.
According to a book on boat/trailer maintenance, the author suggests
using a white water proof grease for hand packing grease into bearing
because white color is easy for us to tell if we have packed grease in
all the rollers in the bearing (he suggests LubriMatic white lithium
waterproof grease). This sounds good. But it also says using a grease
gun to add grease into the Bearing Buddy type of greaser cap. I am a
bit confused. My questions a

- Is he talking about using the same white
waterproof grease for both packing bearing and
adding grease using a grease gun? If this is
the case, I should get the white waterproof
grease in a tube that I can put it in a grease
gun.

- Does he mean that if we use something like a
Bearing Buddy then we don't need to hand pack
grease into the bearing and we can simply use
a grease gun? In other words, I use either one
or the other, not both.

What's the real deal?

Jay Chan

Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You want to pack the wheel bearing with the same grease you will use with
the Bearing Buddy. Do not mix wheel bearing grease from different makers.
Some are incompatible. You need to pack the bearings before installing, and
the bearing buddy is just a touch up. As to white, get a marine wheel
bearing grease. I use Lubimatic, as that is what my local store carries.
You can tell if the bearing is backed, no matter what the color of the
grease.

You want to pack the wheel bearing with the same grease you will use with
the Bearing Buddy. Do not mix wheel bearing grease from different makers.
Some are incompatible. You need to pack the bearings before installing, and
the bearing buddy is just a touch up. As to white, get a marine wheel
bearing grease. I use Lubimatic, as that is what my local store carries.
You can tell if the bearing is backed, no matter what the color of the
grease.

Great! Using one type of grease surely makes life easier than keeping
track with two different types of greases. OK, I will simply use
whichever marine grade grease that comes with a grease gun and is
readily available in the local stores.

Thanks for the info.

Jay Chan