posted to rec.boats.building

Default ABS repair

I have a 1975 Snark Sunflower. It has an ABS shell over the styrofoam.
I need to repair the shell -- it has cracks in it, and nothing's
missing. Other than duct tape and paint, what's a good idea? Isn't
there a chemical I can use to weld it back together?

Thanks.

posted to rec.boats.building

ABS is usually "welded" using a hot air "torch" and ABS rod. Such rigs
are available for about $30 from Harbor Freight. I have also repaired it
using a 25 watt soldering iron.

BS

wrote:
I have a 1975 Snark Sunflower. It has an ABS shell over the styrofoam.
I need to repair the shell -- it has cracks in it, and nothing's
missing. Other than duct tape and paint, what's a good idea? Isn't
there a chemical I can use to weld it back together?

Thanks.

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 1975 Snark Sunflower. It has an ABS shell over the styrofoam.
I need to repair the shell -- it has cracks in it, and nothing's
missing. Other than duct tape and paint, what's a good idea? Isn't
there a chemical I can use to weld it back together?

Thanks.

Look at http://www.urethanesupply.com/ for ideas. Also, check your local Pep
Boys or other car parts retailer for an epoxy-based two-part repair goop for
plastic car bumpers. It retails for about $6, is very easy to use, and seems
to work very well (on bumpers, maybe on boats as well.)

posted to rec.boats.building

If you use a plastic welding gun to repair your ABS shell you will find
that the styrofoam will burn out to a carcinogenic fume, NOT GOOD FOR
YOU. Two part epoxy and urathane is good for repairing Polycarbonate
and Polypropolyne bumpers not every brand will work on ABS. If it does
the down side is that you can have a lot of cleaning of the repaired
area if asthetics are a concern and might absorb chemicals that splash
on it during day to day use unless sealed. I would use MEK (Methyl
Ethyl Ketone) solvent as a plastic welding glue, if it is a neat crack
and you are careful you shouldn't have any problems, try small strips
of duct tape to hold the join together while it sets. Some hardware
stores sell it, I usually purchase it from good hobby shops.

from Glenn
Mobile Plastic & Vinyl Repairs
Australia

On Jan 6, 5:03 am, " wrote:

I have a 1975 Snark Sunflower. It has an ABS shell over the styrofoam.
I need to repair the shell -- it has cracks in it, and nothing's
missing. Other than duct tape and paint, what's a good idea? Isn't
there a chemical I can use to weld it back together?

Thanks.

I had similar boat. In the end (due to other issues) removed all the plastic covering and sealed the styrofoam with a coat of epoxy.

paul oman

Old Town Discovery Scout dent/bubble repair Mike Lambert General 5 October 17th 06 03:12 PM
Recalled yet again! Gilligan ASA 15 October 17th 06 01:41 AM
canoe repair question - need help! Glen General 10 September 11th 06 08:11 PM
advice on damaged keel repair joeb Cruising 16 August 3rd 05 02:07 AM
Marine A/C - To repair, or not to repair? Submariner General 3 April 1st 04 05:20 AM